SHIPPENSBURG, PA – The York College women's cross country squad traveled to Shippensburg, PA for the 10th Annual Galen Piper Cross Country Challenge on Friday evening on the campus of Shippensburg University.
The Spartans finished fourth of four teams as they accumulated 95 points. Pittsburgh won the race with a score of 15 as they swept the top five scoring spots. Shippensburg was second with 54 points while Gettysburg was third with 85 points.
Top Spartan Performers
• Sophomore Taylor Barkdoll led the Green and White as she posted a top ten finish with a time of 15:29.9. Barkdoll notched a pace of 6:13.4 per mile over the 2.49-mile course. Barkdoll finished 49.9 seconds back of race winner Devon Hoernlein from Pittsburgh. Barkdoll was the top Division III finisher in the race.
• York's next finisher was Emma Rogers as she placed 28th with a time of 17:17.0. Rogers was the first of 11 Spartans who crossed the line in the next 14 spots as the Green and White pack was strong.
• After a runner from Gettysburg broke up the Spartan run, Elle Meyer crossed the line in 32nd with a time of 17:31.8. Sarah Nicoletti was York's next finisher as she placed 34th with a time of 17:32.6.
• Jilly Wagner then led a string of six straight Spartan finishers as she placed 36th with a time of 17:36.2. Amber Strouse (17:36.5), Bre Kaiser (17:49.2), Lauren Perlish (17:53.9), Caitlin Bowe (17:55.8), and Danielle Andrews (17:56.6) were the next five Spartan finishers.
• The race featured 56 runners who completed the race.
He Said It:
"The women started off the night right as they executed really well during the race," said head coach Stephen LoBianco. "I am really happy with the team's execution tonight and this is a great stepping stone to faster racing later this season."
The Spartans head to Lebanon, PA to participate in the ECXC Short Course Invitational at Union Canal Tunnel Park two weeks from tonight. The action is slated for a 5:45 start. The event is hosted by Elizabethtown College.