MULLICA HILL, N.J. – The York College women's cross country team fashioned another strong performance on Saturday as they finished 12th of 26 teams at the highly competitive Inter-Regional Border Battle hosted by Rowan University in Mullica Hill, N.J.
The invitational was a who's who of top regionally ranked squads including Johns Hopkins, Dickinson, Haverford and Swarthmore. York was the top CAC finishing team at the event.
Top Spartan Performers
• Junior Jess DelViscio once again paced the Spartans as she placed 44th with a time of 23:07.5. She was followed by fellow junior Kristi Wandzilak who ran a new PR with a time of 23:16.3. Wandzilak finished 49th, five spots back of DelViscio.
• Junior Alayna De Bruin was York's third finisher as she crossed the finish line in a time of 23:28.4 over the 6K course. That placed De Bruin 63rd in the field of 239 runners.
• Sophomore Rachel Banchiere came up big for the Spartans as she finished with a new PR of 23:38.8, allowing her to finish 76th.
• Freshman Jilly Wagner broke into the Spartans' top five with a time of 24:51.7 which placed her 144th in the event.
• Senior Oriana Howell and freshman Nicole Wasserleben rounded out York's top seven runners in the even. Howell finished with a time of 24:53.7 while Wasserleben was right behind her with a time of 24:58.3.
• A number of Spartans established new PR's during the day. Steph Becker (25:53.8), Kim Massa (26:42.1), Camryn McCloskey (27:00.7), Sarah Szukalski (27:46.5), and Rylee Winkelspecht (28:46.7) all set new personal bests during the successful day for the Spartans.
He Said It
"The women put together a strong day and a 12th place finish," said head coach Stephen LoBianco. "Overall, today was certainly a step in the right direction and it's a day we have been training for. This puts us in good position to continue to build on heading into the post season."
The Spartans return to action on Saturday, October 28 when they travel to Christopher Newport University to participate in the 2017 Capital Athletic Conference championships in Newport News, Virginia. The championships are slated for an 11:00 am start.