ALLENTOWN, PA – The York College women's cross country team put together a solid performance in their return to competition at the DeSales University Invitational in Alletown, PA. The Spartans finished fifth of 22 teams as they totaled 138 points. There were 225 runners at the invitational.
Top Spartan Performers
• Juniors Jess DelViscio led the Spartan finishers as she placed 18th with a time of 24:28.1. DelViscio finished 23 seconds out of a top 15 finish as she averaged 6:34 per mile.
• Junior Kristi Wandzilak was the next Spartan to cross the finish line as she placed 24th with a time of 24:42.7. She was eight seconds out of a top 20 finish as she clocked in with an average mile of 6:38.
• Fellow junior Alayna De Bruin was three spots back of Wandzilak as she finished 27th with a time of 24:45.6. De Bruin posted an average mile of 6:39.
• Sophomore Rachel Banchiere was York's fourth finisher as she placed 33rd with a time of 25:02.4. She was just over six seconds out of a top 30 finish in the event as she averaged a 6:43 mile.
• Freshman Emma Rogers was York's final scorer as she placed 36th with a time of 25:09.6
He Said It
"The women set a goal of finishing in the top five as a team and were were able to accomplish that," said head coach Stephen LoBianco. "I liked the close proximity of our top five finishers and we were able to put our fifth woman ahead of the two teams in front of us. I am looking for us to continue to improve next week at Rowan."
After being off for two weeks prior to today's invitational, the Spartans will be in action next weekend when they head to the Inter Regional Border Battle in Glassboro, New Jersey. Rowan University will host the event and the battle kicks off at 11:00 am.