WASHINGTON, D.C. – The York College volleyball squad picked up a pair of wins on Saturday to finish third at the Peg Worthington Classic hosted by Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C.
The Spartans blanked Bethany 3-0 in their opening match and then earned the third-place finish with a 3-1 win over Cortland.
Senior Madyson Whitcomb earned All-Tournament team honors for the second consecutive week as she led the Green and White to the third place finish.
Match #19 vs. Bethany (W.V.)
Score: York 3, Bethany 0 (25-20, 25-23, 25-19)
Records: York 10-9, Bethany 6-10
Kills: York 40, Bethany 26
Errors: York 16, Bethany 18
Attacks: York 108, Bethany 104
Attack %: York .222, Bethany .173
Assists: York 34, Bethany 36
Service Aces: York 9, Bethany 4
Service Errors: York 4, Bethany 4
Digs: York 44, Bethany 47
Total Blocks: York 7.0, Bethany 9.5
How It Happened:
• The Spartans took control of the opening set early as they pushed out to a 10-5 lead 15 points into the match. York grew the lead to 15-7 thanks to a tandem block by Lydia Stump and Sydney Wilber. The Bison put together a 9-3 spurt to cut York's lead to 19-18. The Spartans responded by scoring six of the final eight points of the set to take a 25-20 set one win.
• The Bison turned the tables on the Spartans in the second set as they raced out to a 9-5 lead. York chipped away at the lead but Bethany continued to lead until York finally drew event at 23-23. That would be part of a 5-1 run that allowed the Spartan to win set two 25-23.
• The third set saw the two teams go back and forth with neither team being able to establish control of the match. There were nine ties in the opening 26 points. The Spartans put together a 5-0 spurt that gave them an 18-13 lead. The Bison cut the Spartan lead to three (20-17) but York closed out the game as they scored five of the final seven points of the set to close out the 3-0 victory.
Hannah Siaurusaitis: 11 kills, .241 attack %, 1 dig, 1 block assist
Tyler Williams: 6 kills, .267 attack %, 2 block assists
Gabby Emeigh: 17 assists, 4 service aces, 9 digs
Lexi Daley: 13 assists, 1 service ace, 4 digs
Lydia Stump: 12 digs, 6 kills, 2 service aces, 2 block assists
Sydney Wilber: 6 kills, .286 attack %, 2 digs, 1 solo block, 4 block assists
Katie Sparks: 11 kills, .281 attack %, 1 assist, 1 service ac, 10 digs, 3 block assists
Sidney Snyder: 9 kills, .500 attack %, 1 assist, 1 dig, 1 solo block, 3 block assists
Jenna Scott: 33 assists, 2 digs, 2 block assists
Alaina Torres: 11 digs, 1 service ace
Match #20 vs. Cortland
Score: York 3, Cortland 1
Records: York 11-9, Cortland 17-6
Kills: York 50, Cortland 52
Errors: York 19, Cortland 32
Attacks: York 165, Cortland 187
Attack %: York .188, Cortland .107
Assists: York 49, Cortland 49
Service Aces: York 12, Cortland 10
Service Errors: York 6, Cortland 12
Digs: York 92, Cortland 86
Total Blocks: York 13.0, Cortland 12.0
How It Happened
• The Spartans jumped out to a quick 4-0 first set lead but the Red Dragons quickly got back into the game as York led 7-6 through 13 points. The Spartans slowly started to pull away, building the lead to 17-12. Cortland got back into the set with an 8-3 run, tying the set at 20. York finished the set on a 5-2 run, ending the set with a Madyson Whitcomb kill.
• In the second set, it was the Red Dragons turn to start quick as they led 5-2. York cut the Cortland lead to 11-10 but Cortland answered with four of the next five points for the 15-11 lead. York pushed back with an 11-2 run to take a 22-17 lead. Cortland answered again a they tied the set at 23. The set would be tied again at 24, 25, 26, and 27 before York got kills from Hannah Siaurusaitis and Abby Diehl to end the set with a 29-27 win.
• The Dragons got off to another quick start in the third set as they led 13-4. The lead was 20-11 when York started the road back. The Spartans went on a 13-4 run to tie the set at 24. York took a lead on a Claire Shorb service ace but Cortland would outlast York for a 29-27 set three win.
• York got off to a blistering start in set four as they hit Cortland with a 13-3 run to start the set. Cortland got to within five points but York would go on to cruise to the 25-12 set four victory.
Madyson Whitcomb: 17 kills, .333 attack %, 1 assist, 1 service ace, 2 digs, 1 solo block, 6 block assists
Tyler Williams: 11 kills, .276 attack %, 2 digs, 1 block assist
Abby Diehl: 43 assists, 17 digs, 2 kills, 1 service ace, 2 block assists
Healani Markham: 28 digs, 3 assists
Lydia Stump: 12 digs, 1 kill, 7 service aces
Red Dragon Leaders
Olivia Doorley: 14 kills, 1 assist, 1 service ace, 13 digs, 1 solo block
Hannah Southcott: 14 kills, 1 assist, 4 service aces, 13 digs, 1 block assist
Gabby Amelio: 25 assists, 2 kills, 3 service aces, 17 digs
Carly Haegele: 23 digs, 2 assists
Malley Bowen: 18 assists, 9 digs
The Spartans avenged a pair of early season losses this weekend as they beat Catholic (3-0 winners vs. York on Sept. 14) 3-1 on Friday night and then bounced Cortland (3-1 winners vs. York on Sept. 20) 3-1 in Satuday's third-place game … York snapped a ten match losing streak to Cortland as York was 0-10 all-time against the Red Dragons … York is now 2-1 all-time against Bethany … senior Madyson Whitcomb picked up her second all-tournament team honor of the year as York finished third overall in the tournament.
The Spartans return to action on Wednesday evening when they head to St. Mary's College to face the Seahawks in a Capital Athletic Conference contest. The match is slated for a 7:00 pm start in St. Mary's City, MD.