DALLAS, PA – The York College volleyball team split their two matches during the opening day of the Misericordia Cougar Clash in Dallas, PA on Friday evening. York fell to Cortland 3-1 before breezing past Valley Forge in the nightcap.
The Spartans fell to Cortland 25-19, 25-18, 14-25 and 25-21 as the Red Dragons improved to 12-3. The Green and White bounced back and snapped their four-match losing streak with a 25-10, 25-5, 25-9 win over the Patriots.
Score: York 1, Cortland 3 (25-19, 25-18, 14-25, 25-21)
Records: York 4-7, Cortland 12-3
Kills: York 49, Cortland 36
Errors: York 30, Cortland 20
Attacks: York 133, Cortland 142
Attack %: York .143, Cortland .113
Assists: York 47, Cortland 30
Service Aces: York 4, Cortland 9
Service Errors: York 8, Cortland 10
Digs: York 68, Cortland 47
Total Blocks: York 9, Cortland 3
How It Happened:
• The Red Dragons jumped on the Spartans early in set one as they raced out to a 7-1 lead. York eventually tied the set at eight and pushed out to a 12-10 lead. The Red Dragons tied the set at 12 and after some back and forth play, it would be tied again at 16. Cortland fashioned a 6-0 spurt to take a 21-16 lead. York would not get any closer than four points the rest of the set.
• Cortland took a 7-3 lead to start the second set as they again jumped on York early. York came back to take an 8-7 lead and that began a stretch of back-and-forth action. The set would be tied at 10, 13, and 16 before Cortland ripped off five straight points to take a 21-16 lead. Again, York cut the lead to four before the Red Dragons earned the seven-point set win.
• The start of set three was more even as the game was tied at seven through the first 14 points. York ripped off a huge 15-3 run as York pushed out to a 22-11 lead. The Spartans would cruise from there as they earned the 11-point set win.
• The fourth set was tightly contested early on. The set was tied at six when the Spartans ripped off a 9-2 run to take a seemingly commanding 15-8 lead. The Red Dragons answered in emphatic fashion as they hit York with a 13-2 run to take a 21-17 lead. York trimmed the Cortland lead to 23-20 but the Green and White wouldn't be able to keep the match alive as they fell 25-21.
Madyson Whitcomb: 12 kills, .647 attack % (12-1-17), 1 assist, 1 service ace, 5 block assists
Tyler Williams: 11 kills, 2 service aces, 3 digs, 5 block assists
Abby Diehl: 33 assists, 2 kills, 8 digs, 3 block assists
Emily Pupo: 21 digs, 4 assists
Lydia Stump: 8 kills, 20 digs
Red Dragon Leaders
Hannah Southcott: 8 kills, 12 digs, 1 block assist
Maya Owens: 7 kills, .286 attack %, 5 digs, 2 block assists
Nadia Moore: 7 kills, 2 digs
Gabby Amelio: 12 assists, 2 kills, 5 service aces, 2 digs
Mally Bowen: 10 assists, 2 digs
Carly Haegele: 14 digs, 2 assists, 2 service aces
Score: York 3, Valley Forge 0 (25-10, 25-5, 25-9)
Records: York 5-7, VFC 2-8
Kills: York 33, VFC 9
Errors: York 11, VFC 14
Attacks: York 68, VFC 43
Attack %: York .324, VFC -.116
Assists: York 30, VFC 9
Service Aces: York 18, VFC 0
Service Errors: York 3, VFC 2
Digs: York 18, VFC 22
Total Blocks: York 1, VFC 0
How It Happened
• York jumped all over Valley Forge early as they took a 13-2 lead. The Patriots cut the Spartan lead to 15-6 but York concluded the game on a 10-4 spurt to earn the 25-10 win.
• Set two was much of the same as York led early. The Spartans led 10-4 and then ripped off a 15-1 run to close out game two.
• The Green and White opened the third set with an 8-2 run. The Patriots trimmed York's lead to 8-5. The two teams traded two points each before York scored six straight to take a 17-7 lead. The Spartans scored eight of the final ten points of the match to secure the 25-9 win.
Megan Wolf: 10 kills, .571 attack % (10-2-14), 1 service ace, 5 digs
Madison Kauffmann: 5 kills, .571 attack % (5-1-7)
Abby Diehl: 9 assists, 1 service ace, 3 digs
Lexi Daley: 9 assists, 4 digs
Kierstin Grove: 4 kills, 5 service aces, 1 dig
Lydia Stump: 2 kills, 4 service aces, 1 dig
Mariah Straker: 4 kills, .286 attack %
Kaitlyn Hess: 3 kills, 2 assists, 9 digs
Jasmine Vargas: 8 digs
The Spartans snapped their season-high four match losing streak with their win over Valley Forge … The Spartans hit a season-high .324 against the Patriots … York banged out a season-high 18 service aces in the win over Valley Forge … York tied a season-low with just three service errors in the match against Valley Forge while they also had season-lows in digs (18) and blocks (1) … The Green and White tied their season-high with 18 block assists in the loss to Cortland … York won their first match in three sets against VFC … they are now 1-3 in three-set decisions.
The Spartans return to action on Saturday morning as they face the host Cougars at 11:00 am. They will then face Oswego State in their final match of the weekend starting at 1:00 pm.