YORK, PA – The York College volleyball team dropped a pair of games in their 2019 home opener on Saturday at Wolf Gymnasium. The Spartans fell to Stevenson University 3-0 in their opener and concluded the day with a 3-2 loss to the University of Scranton.
The Spartans are now 3-3 for the year while Stevenson improves to 5-0 and Scranton now stands at 4-2. Stevenson defeated Scranton 3-1 in the day's middle match.
Score: York 0, Stevenson 3 (25-21, 30-28, 25-22)
Kills: York 29, Stevenson 43
Errors: York 12, Stevenson 17
Attacks: York 112, Stevenson 138
Attack %: York .152, Stevenson .188
Assists: York 29, Stevenson 39
Service Aces: York 11, Stevenson 4
Service Errors: York 7, Stevenson 6
Digs: York 66, Stevenson 59
Total Blocks: York 6, Stevenson 8
How It Happened:
• The first set was back and forth early as there were nine ties in the first 26 points. The final tie of the set came at 13-13. The Mustangs went on an 8-1 run to take a 21-14 lead. The Spartans cut their deficit to 23-20 but it would not be enough as Stevenson scored two of the final three points of the set for the four-point set one win.
• The second set was again back and forth as there were 12 ties in the first 26 points as the set was tied at 13. The Spartans went on an 8-2 run to push out to a 21-15 lead. The Spartans continued to build on the lead as they were one point away from squaring the match at one set each as they led 24-18. The Mustangs answered with eight straight points to seize the 25-24 lead. The Spartans would tie the set at 25 and the teams would be tied three more times (26, 27, and 28) before Stevenson won the final two points to take the commanding 2-0 lead.
• The third set featured seven early ties with the final tie in the set coming at 11. The Mustangs hit York with a quick 4-0 spurt. York got it to within two points three times before Stevenson got another quick 4-0 run tot take a 21-15 lead. The Mustangs maintained the lead at 24-18 but York scored four straight to trim the lead to 24-22. Stevenson captured the final point to complete the sweep .
Hannah Siaurusaitis: 7 kills, .214 attack%, 1 block assist
Jordyn Cotone: 6 kills, .211 attack%, 1 solo block, 2 block assists
Gabby Emeigh: 16 assists, 3 service aces, 11 digs
Emily Pupo: 22 digs, 1 assist, 3 service aces
Abby Diehl: 11 assists, 3 service aces, 13 digs
Katie Leftridge: 13 kills, 13 digs, 1 assist, 1 solo block, 2 block assists
Victoria Prokic: 6 kills, .417 attack %, 3 block assists
Sarah Straub: 6 kills, .750 attack %, 4 block assists
Caroline Dangel: 21 assists, 3 kills, 6 digs, 1 service ace
Score: York 2, Scranton 3 (25-22, 18-25, 25-18, 26-28, 15-7)
Kills: York 47, Scranton 48
Errors: York 21, Scranton 14
Attacks: York 138, Scranton 133
Attack %: York .188, Scranton 256
Assists: York 45, Scranton 46
Service Aces: York 12, Scranton 14
Service Errors: York 9, Scranton 11
Digs: York 70, Scranton 48
Total Blocks: York 10, Scranton 19
How It Happened
• The first set featured six early ties before the Royals took a three-point lead at 12-9. The Spartans battled back to tie the set at 16. The set would be tied again at 18 but the Royals ripped off a quick 4-0 spurt to take a 22-18 lead. York trimmed their deficit to 23-22 before Scranton won the final two points to take the opening set.
• York fell behind early in set two as the Royals raced out to an 8-4 lead. York scored six of the next eight points to tie the set at 10. The teams would not be separated by more than two points over the next ten points. The Spartan then notched a 7-2 run to take a 24-17 lead before they closed out the set with a 25-18 win.
• Scranton smacked the Spartans early in the third set as they raced out to an 8-1 lead. Again, York battled back and tied the set at 12. The set would be tied four more ties (13, 14, 15, and 16) but the Royals ripped off a 9-2 run to close out the set with the 25-18 win and take a 2-1 lead.
• The fourth set saw Scranton get off to another quick start as they surged out to a 10-3 lead. The Spartans would once again claw their way back into the set with a 13-6 run, tying the game at 16. The match would be tied again at 17 only to see Scranton put together a five-point spurt to take a 22-17 lead. The Spartans answered with a five-point spurt of their own to tie the set at 22. The two teams would go back and forth with four more ties before the Spartans scored the final two points of the set to square the match at two sets each.
• The fifth set was close early but the Royals went on a 4-1 spurt to push out to an 8-4 lead. York got to within three at 9-6 but that would be as close as they would get as the Royals rolled to an eight-point win in the decisive fifth set.
Madyson Whitcomb: 12 kills, .500 attack%, 1 service ace, 4 digs, 2 solo block, 3 block assists
Hannah Siaurusaitis: 10 kills, .346 attack%, 2 digs, 1 solo block, 2 block assists
Emily Pupo: 17 digs, 1 kill, 5 aces, 1 service ace
Gabby Emeigh: 22 assists, 1 kill, 4 service aces, 13 digs
Abby Diehl: 17 assists, 1 service ace, 10 digs
Tyler Williams: 9 kills, .250 attack%, 1 dig, 1 solo block, 3 block assists
Carah Vitkus: 12 kills, .400 attack%, 1 dig, 4 solo blocks, 2 block assists
Kindler Norman: 10 kills, .241 attack%, 27 assists, 1 service ace, 3 solo blocks
Caileigh Cox: 10 kills, .333 attack%, 19 assists, 10 digs, 4 solo blocks
Regina Schetorma: 23 digs, 4 service aces
The Spartans head back out on the road on Thursday evening as they head to Immaculata University to face the Mighty Macs. Game time is set for 7:00 pm.