NEWPORT NEWS, VA – The York College volleyball squad suffered a heart-breaking five set loss to second seeded Christopher Newport University in Thursday's Capital Athletic Conference semifinals. The Captains advance to face top seeded Mary Washington in the conference championship game on Saturday.
Match #29 – CAPITAL ATHLETIC CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS
Score: CNU def. York 3-2 (25-18, 16-25, 19-25, 25-14, 17-15)
Records: York (Pa.) 20-8, #25 CNU 24-5
Kills: York 42, CNU 55
Errors: York 17, CNU 31
Total Attacks: York 141, CNU 166
Attack %: York .177, CNU .145
Assists: York 38, CNU 53
Service Aces: York 8, CNU 11
Service Errors: York 12, CNU 14
Digs: York 70, CNU 68
Solo Blocks: York 0, CNU 1
Block Assists: York 18, CNU 10
How It Happened
• The Captains got off to a quick start as they raced out to a 10-4 lead as the Spartans burned a timeout to stem the tide. CNU built the lead to eight at 14-6 on a Spartan ball-handling error. The Captains pushed the lead to 11 at 18-7, forcing York to use their other timeout. The Captains extended the lead to 12 (22-10) but the Spartans went on an 8-2 run before a Spartan service error allowed the Captains to close out the first set 25-18.
• The second set started out with the teams tied at two. York then ripped off nine straight points to seize control of the game. The York lead hit a set high of 13 on a Gabby Emeigh service ace as the Spartan lead was 19-6. The Captains went on a 10-4 run but the Spartans closed out the set with a 25-16 win, knotting the match at one set each.
• The third set was back and forth early with six ties with the last one coming at 7-7. The Spartans went on an 8-1 run to take a 15-8 lead. The Captains cut the Spartan lead to three at 16-13. The Green and White answered with a 5-2 spurt of their own to take a 21-14 lead. York scored four of the final nine points of the set to capture a 25-19 set three win as York pushed out to a 2-1 edge in the match.
• The Captains came roaring out in the fourth set as they were determined to extend the match to a fifth set. CNU opened the set on a 7-1 run to seize the early control. The Captain lead eventually grew to ten at 16-6. The Spartans cut the lead to eight at 20-12 but that is as close as they would get in the set as the Captains earned a 25-14 set four win.
• In the fifth set, the two teams put together the most exciting set of the match. The Spartans led 12-9 but the Captains tied the set at 12. A CNU attack error gave the Spartans a 13-12 lead but the Spartans gave that right back with a service error. The Captains repaid that with a service error of their own as York led 14-13. York answered with a third consecutive service error to tie the set at 14. A Spartan attack error gave CNU the 15-14 lead but Brooke Krebs notched a kill to tie the set again. CNU won the match as York had a service error and a ball handling error to give the Captains a berth in the CAC championship game thanks to the 17-15 fifth set win.
Brooke Krebs: 12 kills, 15 digs, 4 block assists
Cheyenne Altland: 8 kills, .615 attack % (8-0-13), 1 dig, 5 block assists
Madyson Whitcomb: 7 kills, .333 attack %, 1 assist, 1 service ace, 4 block assists
Alexis Harbold: 18 digs, 1 assist, 1 service ace
Gabby Emeigh: 19 assists, 1 kill, 2 service aces, 9 digs
Abby Oren: 12 kills, .333 attack percentage, 3 digs, 2 block assists
Katie Piper: 11 kills, 4 digs
Megan O'Hara: 10 kills, 2 digs, 3 block assists
Hope Webb: 23 assists, 2 service aces, 6 digs
Josie Lucernoni: 26 digs, 1 service ace, 4 assists
The Spartans are now 0-8 all-time against the Captains … York is now 21-22 all-time in the CAC tournament … York is 0-2 against the Captains in the CAC tournament … the trip to the semifinals is the first for the Spartans since 2011 when they dropped a 3-2 decision to Stevenson … senior Alexis Harbold went over 1,500 career digs as she concluded her career with 1,516 digs, good for seven on the Spartans' all-time digs list … Harbold is third on the digs per set list as she finished her career averaging 5.16 digs per set … Harbold finished her career sixth on the serve reception list as she received serve at 91.9% while fellow senior Heather Secrist finished fifth at 92.1% … senior Brooke Krebs finished her career with 952 kills, good for seventh on the Spartans' all-time kills list … York finished the season with 255 service errors as they served at 89.3% for the year.
The loss concludes the 2018 campaign for the Spartans. York now must say good bye to six seniors as Eryn Brady, Brooke Krebs, Alexis Harbold, Cheyenne Altland, Heather Secrist, and Molly McCann closed out their careers with the match. The senior class compiled a four-year record of 73-47 (.608%).