YORK, PA – The York College Spartan volleyball team kept their season alive with a 3-2 victory in the first round of the CAC tournament against the Frostburg State Bobcats on Tuesday evening.
Records: York 20-8, (4-3), FSU 11-23 (2-5)
Scores: York def. FSU 3-2 (25-22, 20-25, 26-24, 20-25, 15-7)
Kills: York 58, FSU 46
Errors: York 23, FSU 18
Attack Percentage: York .196, FSU .170
Assists: York 54, FSU 42
Service Aces: York 7, FSU 5
Digs: York 96, FSU 86
Blocks: YCP 8, FSU 7
Madyson Whitcomb: 15 kills, .517 attack % (15-0-29), 5 block assists
Brooke Krebs: 13 kills, 15 digs, 2 block assists
Gabby Emeigh: 28 assists, 2 service aces, 12 digs
Alexis Harbold: 34 digs, 3 service aces, 3 assists
Haley Altemus: 13 kills, .250 attack % (13-4-36), 19 digs
Bailey Godlove: 12 kills, .237 attack % (12-3-38), 2 digs
Katie Onyundo: 39 assists, 13 digs, 1 service ace
Cori Smothers: 23 digs, 1 service ace, 2 assists
How It Happened:
• The first set really set the tone for the entire match as it was a back-and-forth set throughout. The set was within two points on either side up to when the score was tied 11-11. Frostburg went on a run to take a 15-11 lead before Madyson Whitcomb came up with a run-stopping kill which sparked a five-point run and 8-1 run over the next nine points for the Spartans. York grabbed a 17-16 lead during that run and never relinquished it and took the first set 25-22.
• The Bobcats came out in the second set and took control early and never looked back. The score was tied at 7-7 before Frostburg took the lead and although the Spartans were able to bring the score back even four times in the rest of the set, the Bobcats never gave up the lead and even scored seven straight points and took the second set 25-20.
• The third set was similar to the first as the score remained close the entire set. The second set saw 12 ties with the biggest lead being three for York and one for Frostburg State. The Bobcats had a late 24-23 lead when Tyler Williams had a clutch kill to tie the score followed by two straight kills by Whitcomb to give York the 26-24 set win.
• York was battling from behind the entire fourth set as the Bobcats came out with a 7-1 lead. York fought hard to tie it and eventually take the lead 17-16. That was the last lead for the Spartans in the set as the Bobcats put a stranglehold on the set and 10 of the last 13 points to send the match into a decisive fifth set.
• The Spartans dominated the final set as they won wire-to-wire and held a two-point cushion from the 4-2 point and on before finally sealing the win with a 15-7 fifth set victory.
The Spartans are now 5-9 all-time against the Bobcats … the win snapped a two-game losing streak against Frostburg … the Spartans are also now 2-1 in the CAC tournament against the Bobcats … the 58 kills for the team are tied for the second-most in a single match this season … the 96 digs for the Spartans are a new season-high … Alexis Harbold had season-high three service aces in the win … Brooke Krebs recorded double-digit kills for the fifth consecutive match … the Spartans are now 5-1 this season when going five sets in a match … York is now 10-3 at Wolf Gym this year.
The Spartans will head on the road to face the #2 seed Christopher Newport Captains in the CAC semifinals on Thursday. Game time is scheduled for 7:00 pm in Newport News, Va.