FROSTBURG, MD – The York College volleyball squad split their two games at the Frostburg State tri-match on Saturday in Frostburg, Maryland. The Spartans fell to the host Bobcats 3-0 in the Capital Athletic Conference match in the opener before bouncing back to down Pitt-Bradford 3-1 in the nightcap.
Score: Frostburg State def. York 3-0 (25-22, 25-22, 25-21)
Records: York 12-7 (1-3 CAC), Frostburg State 8-18 (1-2 CAC)
Kills: York 40, FSU 38
Errors: York 27, FSU 10
Total Attempts: York 147, FSU 144
Attack %: York .088, FSU .194
Assists: York 39, FSU 33
Service Aces: York 6, FSU 2
Digs: York 82, FSU 72
Blocks: York 5.0, FSU 8.0
How It Happened:
• The Bobcats got off to a quick start in the first set as they led 12-6 early. York trimmed the lead to 14-13 thanks to a 5-0 run. The Bobcats answered with a 9-3 run to take the 23-16 lead. The Spartans answered with a 6-1 run to cut the deficit to 24-22 but the Bobcats closed out the set on a Haley Altemus kill.
• The second set was back and forth as there were six ties in the first 26 points of the set. York pushed out to an 18-14 lead on a Hannah Siaurusaitis kill. The Bobcats scored six of the next eight points to tie the set at 20. The Bobcats closed out the set with an overall run of 11-4 to take the 25-22 set two win.
• The Spartans got off to another strong start in the third set only to have the Bobcats rebound with a 9-2 run to take a 17-13 lead. The Spartans got to within two but that's as close as they would get as the Bobcats closed out the win with a 25-21 victory.
Brooke Krebs: 13 kills, 17 digs, 1 assist, 1 block assist
Tyler Williams: 7 kills, 21 digs, 2 block assists
Heather Secrist: 20 digs
Gabby Emeigh: 20 assists, 1 service ace, 11 digs
Eryn Brady: 7 kills, 1 block assist
Haley Altemus: 10 kills, 1 assist, 14 digs, 4 block assists
Biama Tshitenge: 9 kills, .320 attack %, 4 digs, 1 solo block, 3 block assists
Bailey Godlov: 6 kills, 4 digs
Katie Onuyndo: 27 assists, 3 kills, 6 digs, 1 block assist
Score: York def. Pitt-Bradford 3-1 (25-23, 22-25, 25-23, 25-20)
Records: York 13-7, Pitt-Bradford 14-10
Kills: York 54, Pitt-Bradford 47
Errors: York 28, Pitt-Bradford 28
Total Attempts: York 180, Pitt-Bradford 175
Attack %: York .144, Pitt-Bradford .109
Assists: York 51, Pitt-Bradford 45
Service Aces: York 4, Pitt-Bradford 3
Digs: York 80, Pitt-Bradford 81
Blocks: York 10.0, Pitt-Bradford 7.0
How It Happened
• York got off to a good start in the first set. The Green and White led until Emily Cleveland registered a kill to give the Panters a 13-12 lead. York recaptured the lead only to have Bradford tie the set at 17. It would be tied again at 17, 18, and 22. The Spartans scored three of the final four points of the set to take the 25-23 win.
• The Panthers took control of the second set early thanks to four straight Spartan attack errors to open the set. The Spartans bounced back to tie the set at 12. The set was tied again at 15 and 17 but the Panthers ripped off four straight points to take the 21-17 lead. York would get back to within two at 23-21 but the Panthers closed out the set by winning two of the final three points, tying the match at one set each.
• York fell behind early in the third set as Bradford led 11-5 after the first 16 points of the set. York eventually tied the set at 14 and pushed out to an 18-16 lead on a Hannah Siaurusaitis kill. The Panthers tied the set at 18 but York scored six of the next eight points of the set to forge out to a 24-20 lead. The Panthers cut York's lead to 24-23 but Madyson Whitcomb got a kill to close out the 25-23 win.
• The Spartans raced out to a quick 9-3 lead only to have Bradford tie the set at 10. The game would be tied at 11 and again at 12 before York scored three straight for the 15-12 lead. York would not trail the rest of the way as they cruised to the 25-20 fourth set win .
Eryn Brady: 17 kills, .350 attack %, 1 assist, 4 digs, 3 block assists
Madyson Whitcomb: 11 kills, 4 block assists
Jordyn Cotone: 19 digs, 5 kills, 1 assist, 1 service ace
Cheyenne Altland: 8 kills, 6 digs, 2 block assists
Heather Secrist: 24 digs, 4 assists
Gabby Emeigh: 30 assists, 10 digs
Alexandra Daley: 14 assists, 1 service ace, 7 digs
Riley Anderson: 15 kills, 19 digs, 2 block assists
Emily Cleveland: 15 kills, 3 digs
Laura Hildebrand: 27 digs, 2 assists
Payton Orzech: 17 digs, 31 assists, 2 kills
York has now lost two straight against Frostburg State as they are now 4-9 all-time against the Bobcats … York is now 6-0 all-time against the Panthers … the Spartans have hit under .160 in their last five matches including a .088 performance against FSU … the .088 attack percentage against the Bobcats as York's lowest mark of the season … senior Heather Secrist recorded a career-high 24 digs in the match against Pitt-Bradford … Secrist also had a career-high four assists in the victory … senior Brooke Krebs notched 13 kills in the loss to FSU as she now has eight double digit kills game for the year … Krebs' 17 digs in the match is a senior high for the senior … sophomore Tyler Williams set a new career-high with 21 digs in the match against FSU … senior Eryn Brady was one kill short of tying her career-high as she had 17 kills in the win over Bradford ... junior Jordyn Cotone notched a career-high 19 digs in the win over Bradford.
The Spartans head to Middletown, PA on Wednesday night to face Penn State Harrisburg in a key Capital Athletic Conference contest. The match is set for a 7:00 pm start at the Capitol Student Center.