YORK, PA – The York College Spartan volleyball squad earned a dramatic come-from-behind win over Gettysburg College on Wednesday night in York. The Spartans dropped two sets early before storming back to win three straight to earn the important non-conference win over the talented Bullets squad.
Records: York 10-5, Gettysburg 13-3
Scores: York def. Gettysburg, 3-2 (23-25, 22-25, 26-24, 25-18, 15-13)
Kills: York 56, Gettysburg 47
Errors: York 27, Gettysburg 26
Attack Percentage: York .151, Gettysburg .112
Assists: York 54, Gettysburg 41
Service Aces: York 5, Gettysburg 3
Digs: York 90, Gettysburg 82
Blocks: YCP 10.0, Gettysburg 7.5
Brooke Krebs: 17 kills, .140 attack %, 3 digs, 1 solo block
Madyson Whitcomb: 14 kills, .429attack % (14-2-28), 3 solo blocks, 2 block assists
Hannah Siaurusaitis: 9 kills, .207 attack %, 1 solo block, 2 block assists
Alexis Harbold: 42 digs, 1 assist, 1 service ace
Gabby Emeigh: 33 assists, 3 service aces, 13 digs
Alexandra Daley: 20 assists, 12 digs
Allie Stranick: 11 kills, 2 service aces, 10 digs, 1 block assist
Jordyn Horowitz: 10 kills, 8 digs, 1 block assist
Caroline Sequeira: 30 digs, 4 assists
Sarah Ellis: 20 assists, 8 digs
Maddie Buerle: 10 digs
Brooke Newell: 15 assists, 1 service ace, 7 digs
How It Happened:
• The Bullets got off to a strong start in the first set. They pushed out to an early 11-5 lead, forcing the Spartans to call timeout. The two squads split the next 10 points as Gettysburg led 16-10. The Bullets scored the next point on an Allie Stranick kill to push out to a set high seven-point lead. York went on a 10-4 run to cut their deficit to 21-20. The Bullets held the Spartans at bay as they won set one 25-23.
• The Spartans got off to a better start in the second set as they held an early 9-7 lead. After the Bullets tied the set at 10, York went on a 5-1 run to take a 15-11 lead. Gettysburg battled back and tied the set at 18. The set was tied again at 19 and the Bullets scored four of the next five points to take a 23-20 lead. York drew to within two at 24-22 but the Bullets ended the game with a 25-22 win as they were one set away from closing out the Spartans.
• The third set was one of the most back-and-forth set played for the Green and White all year. Neither team held more than a two-point lead as the set featured a staggering 22 ties. With Gettysburg leading 24-23, Madyson Whitcomb notched a kill, the Bullets made an attack error and Cheyenne Altland had a service ace to keep the match alive for the Green and White.
• York came blazing out of the gate in the fourth set as they jumped out to a 6-0 lead. The Spartan lead vacillated between five and eight points until the Bullets cut the Spartan lead to four at 21-17. The Spartans scored four of the final five points to force the decisive fifth set.
• Gettysburg got off to a quick start in the fifth set as they scored the first four points of the set. York answered with a 6-2 run to tie the game at six. The set was tied again six more times with the final tie coming at 12-12. The Spartans scored two of the next three points to take a 14-12 lead. The Bullets got the next point before Whitcomb ended the match with her 14th kill of the night to give York the improbable come-from-behind win.
The Spartans have won four straight, tying their longest win streak of the year … York has won eight of their last nine matches with their only loss coming at nationally ranked Christopher Newport … York is now 9-24 against Gettysburg all-time … York has now won two straight 3-2 decisions over Gettysburg at Wolf Gymnasium … York is now 3-1 in five set matches this year with the lone loss coming to nationally ranked Johns Hopkins … senior Alexis Harbold recorded a season-high 42 digs in the win … Harbold now has seven matches with 20 digs or more including two matches with 30 or more digs … Harbold leads the Capital Athletic Conference in digs per game at 5.88 digs per set … junior Madyson Whitcomb continues to be one of the top players in the conference as she had 14 kills with a .429 attack percentage for the match … Whitcomb now has 11 matches with an attack percentage of .400 or better … Whitcomb also had a season-high tying three solo blocks in the win … sophomore Alexandra Daley had a pair of career highs in the win as she dished out 20 assists and collected 12 digs as she now becomes the Spartans second setter as senior Molly McCann has been lost to injury.
York returns to action on Saturday when they host the University of Mary Washington in a key Capital Athletic Conference contest. Game time is set for 2:00 pm from Charles Wolf Gymnasium.