ST. MARY'S CITY, MD – The York College Spartan volleyball team picked up a pair of big wins on Saturday including a Capital Athletic Conference win in St. Mary's City, Maryland. The Spartans blanked the host Seahawks 3-0 in the league contest and completed the sweep with a 3-2 win over Stevenson in the nightcap.
Records: York 9-5 (1-1 CAC), St. Mary's 11-7 (0-2 CAC)
Scores: York def. SMC 3-0 (25-20, 25-20, 25-14)
Kills: York 42, SMC 25
Errors: York 15, SMC 21
Attack Percentage: York .265, SMC .037
Assists: York 39, SMC 22
Service Aces: York 3, SMC 4
Digs: York 52, SMC 41
Blocks: YCP 5.0, SMC 2.0
Madyson Whitcomb: 13 kills, .375 attack % (13-4-24), 2 solo blocks, 2 block assists
Brooke Krebs: 11 kills, .200 attack %, 13 digs, 1 service ace
Gabby Emeigh: 23 assists, 9 digs
Alexandra Daley: 14 assists, 1 dig
Alexis Harbold: 19 digs, 2 assists, 1 service ace
Meghan Kelley: 8 kills, 1 dig, 1 block assist
Ellyse Sutliff: 5 kills, 2 assists, 1 dig, 1 block assist
Mia Griffiths: 14 assists, 3 kills, 1 service ace, 5 digs
Marissa Dangler: 11 digs, 1 service ace, 1 assist
How It Happened:
• The Spartans pushed out to an early 12-6 set one advantage to seize control early. St. Mary's came back to tie the set at 16 but a Cheyenne Altland kill and a St. Mary's attack error gave York a two-point lead. The Spartans would maintain the lead the rest of the set as they earned a five-point set one win.
• York again forged ahead early in set two. The Seahawks again tied the set at 16 and this time York answered with a three point run to take a 19-16 lead. St. Mary's cut the lead to one twice but York closed out the set with a 5-1 run to win set two 25-20.
• The start of the third set was much like the first two sets as the Spartans led 10-3. The teams split the next 14 points as York led 17-10. York concluded the match by scoring eight of the next 12 points to secure the 25-14 win.
Records: York 10-5, Stevenson 10-8
Scores: York def. Stevenson 25-14, 19-25, 25-19, 22-25, 15-9
Kills: York 53, SU 48
Errors: York 22, SU 25
Attack Percentage: York .209, SU .165
Assists: York 51, SU 45
Service Aces: York 15, SU 7
Digs: York 59, SU 62
Blocks: YCP 8.0, SU 8.0
Brooke Krebs: 17 kills, .182 attack %, 10 digs, 1 service ace, 2 block assists
Eryn Brady: 11 kills, .346 attack % (11-2-26), 1 dig
Tyler Williams: 11 kills, .143 attack %, 2 digs, 3 block assists
Gabby Emeigh: 32 assists, 5 service aces, 14 digs, 1 kills
Alexis Harbold: 19 digs, 4 assists, 2 service aces
Madyson Whitcomb: 9 kills, .350 attack % (9-2-20), 4 block assists
Katie Leftridge: 15 kills. 250 attack%, 6 digs, 1 solo block
Moriah Savage: 12 kills, .308 attack % (12-4-26), 4 block assists
Sarah Riggin: 21 digs, 4 assists
Emily Castro: 23 assists, 2 kills, 6 service aces, 7 digs
Darian Hileman: 20 digs, 5 kills, 2 block assists
How It Happened
• In set number one, the Spartans raced out to a 10-1 lead as they carried over the momentum from their match win over St. Mary's. The Spartan lead never fell below eight the rest of the was as York cruised to a decisive set one win.
• The Mustangs were much better in set two as they pushed out to a 15-10 lead. York got to within three at 20-17 but the Mustangs closed out the set on a 5-2 run to even the match at one.
• The third set was back and forth early as the set was tied at 11 and again at 12. The Spartans scored three straight points to take a lead they would not lose the rest of the set as the Green and White would take the set 25-19.
• The Mustang forced a fifth set after capturing a back-and-forth fourth set. With the set tied at 16, the Mustangs won three straight points to seize control of the set and eventually capture a 25-22 win.
• The Green and White burst out to a quick 5-2 lead in the decisive fifth set. The Mustangs pulled to within one at 10-9 but York ripped off the final five points of the match to earn the win.
York has now won two straight against St. Mary's as they are 27-19 all-time against the Seahawks … the win over Stevenson snapped a four-match losing streak against the Mustangs but York still holds a 13-6 all-time edge in the series … York hit over .200 in both wins on Saturday … York had a season-high 15 service aces in the win over Stevenson … York tied a season high with 16 block assists in the win over the Mustangs … York has won three straight and seven of their last eight matches.
York returns home on Wednesday evening when they host Gettysburg in a non-conference contest. The match will be the first of three straight at home for the Green and White. Game time is set for 7:00 pm in York.