GRANTHAM, PA – The York College Spartan volleyball squad finished off a great weekend at Messiah as the Spartans won both of their Saturday matches to go 3-0 at the Messiah College Invitational. The Spartans downed Messiah 3-1 in the opener and completed the successful weekend with a 3-0
Records: York 5-4, Messiah 7-3
Scores: York def. Messiah 3-1 (13-25, 25-23, 25-20, 28-26)
Kills: York 57, Messiah 58
Errors: York 17, Messiah 15
Attack Percentage: York .294, Messiah .313
Assists: York 53, Messiah 52
Service Aces: York 3, Messiah 5
Digs: York 50, Messiah 54
Blocks: YCP 5.0, Messiah 6.0
Madyson Whitcomb: 23 kills, .553 attack % (23-2-38), 1 solo block
Brooke Krebs: 8 kills, .227 attack %, 8 digs, 3 block assists
Gabby Emeigh: 33 assists, 4 digs, 1 block assist
Alexis Harbold: 20 digs, 4 assists, 1 service ace
Kierstin Grove: 5 kills, 4 block assists, 1 dig
Molly McCann: 14 assists, 1 kill, 3 digs
Lanae Hunsberger: 15 kills, .423 attack %, 4 digs
Mary Underman: 14 kills, 4 block assists
Kate Preudhomme: 9 kills, 1 assist, 1 dig, 2 block assists
Katie Wilcox: 26 assists, 7 digs
Heston Cowoski: 20 assists, 6 digs
How It Happened:
• The Spartans probably could not have gotten off to a tougher start as the Falcons jumped out to a 16-4 lead. York never really closed the gap as the Falcons cruised to the 25-13 game one victory.
• York's set two featured a marked improvement. The two squads went back and forth as neither team could seize control of the set. The game featured eight ties with the final one coming at 19-19. The Spartans captured the next two points to take a 21-19 lead. The teams alternated the next four points as York led 23-21. The Spartans got a Falcon attack error to lead 24-21. Messiah won the next two points but Madyson Whitcomb banged home a kill to end the set 25-23.
• York sprinted out to an early third set lead as they scored seven of the first nine points of the game. York pushed their lead to six at 14-8 on a Whitcomb block. With the Spartans up 17-11, Messiah went on a 5-0 spurt to draw to within one at 17-16. The Spartans scored six of the next eight points to forge a 23-18 lead. With York up 24-20, Whitcomb ended the third set with another kill as York took the 2-1 lead.
• The fourth set was a tight one from the start. York's biggest lead was four at 11-7 but the Falcons quickly cut into their deficit as they won 10 of the next 14 points to take a 17-15 lead. York tied the set at 19 and that began a tense back and forth race to the end of the set. The remainder of the set would feature seven ties with the final one being at 26-26. Senior Eryn Brady recorded a kill to put York up 27-26 and fellow senior Brooke Krebs ended the match with a kill of her own, giving York the 3-1 win.
Records: York 6-4, New Rochelle 0-9
Scores: York def. New Rochelle 3-0 (25-10, 25-21, 25-22)
Kills: York 46, New Rochelle 30
Errors: York 10, New Rochelle 13
Attack Percentage: York .333, New Rochelle .181
Assists: York 40, New Rochelle 29
Service Aces: York 7, New Rochelle 2
Digs: York 45, New Rochelle 2
Blocks: YCP 2.0, New Rochelle 2.0
Madyson Whitcomb: 15 kills, .609 attack % (15-1-23), 1 assist, 1 dig
Brooke Krebs: 8 kills, .467 attack % (8-1-15), 8 digs, 1 service ace
Jordyn Cotone: 7 kills, .636 attack % (7-0-11), 2 digs
Gabby Emeigh: 23 assists, 2 service aces, 4 digs
Emily Pupo: 12 digs, 2 assists
Blue Angel Leaders
Imani DeBose: 9 kills, 1 block assist
Genesis Soto Ruiz: 6 kills, .545 attack % (6-0-11), 3 digs
Millinet Gonzalez: 22 assists, 2 service aces, 1 kill
Militza Gonzalez: 15 digs, 5 kills, 1 assist, 1 block assist
How It Happened:
• The opening set was close early as the two times were tied at five. York went on an 8-3 run to take a 14-8 lead. York continued to build on the lead before putting the set away with an 8-0 run to take the 25-10 set one win.
• The second set was more tightly contested. The first 12 points of the match featured six ties before the Spartans ripped off a 6-0 run to take a 12-6 lead. New Rochelle cut the Spartan lead to two at 18-16. York continued to pull away as they secured a 25-21 victory in set two.
• The third set was back and forth with neither team taking control of the set. The back and forth set saw the Spartans finally seize the set with a 6-2 run to end the match.
The Spartans have won a season-high three straight … York plays two of their next three at home … the tournament championship is the first of the season for the Spartans … Madyson Whitcomb had a big weekend with a career-high 23 kills in the win over Messiah … for the weekend, Whitcomb had 54 kills and hit a blistering .522 (54-6-92) in 12 sets of play.
York returns home on Tuesday night as they host Immaculata University in a non-conference contest. The match is slated for a 7:00 pm start at Charles Wolf Gymnasium.