GRANTHAM, PA – The York College Spartan volleyball squad went the distance with DeSales University and prevailed 3-2 over DeSales in the opening round of the Messiah College Invitational on Friday evening in Grantham, Pa.
Records: York 4-4, DeSales 6-4
Scores: York def. DeSales, 3-2 (15-25, 25-22, 19-25, 25-19, 15-13)
Kills: York 58, DeSales 62
Errors: York 26, DeSales 22
Attack Percentage: York .156, DeSales .216
Assists: York 49, DeSales 57
Service Aces: York 11, DeSales 6
Digs: York 88, DeSales 109
Blocks: YCP 7.0, DeSales 5.0
Madyson Whitcomb: 16 kills, .419 attack % (16-3-31), 2 block assists
Eryn Brady: 12 kills, .143 attack %, 1 dig, 1 block assist
Hannah Siaurusaitis: 10 kills, .281 attack %, 2 digs, 2 block assists
Alexis Harbold: 36 digs, 5 assists, 1 service ace
Gabby Emeigh: 22 assists, 12 digs, 2 service aces
Molly McCann: 19 assists, 11 digs
Gabby Savite: 17 kills, .222 attack %, 2 assists, 21 digs, 1 block assist
Grace Merritt: 14 kills, 1 assist, 5 digs, 1 solo block
Noel Kelly: 10 kills, 6 digs
Audrey Wolfe: 38 assists, 19 digs, 4 kills
Taylor Aron: 19 digs, 2 assists, 1 kill
How It Happened:
• DeSales jumped all over York early as they sprinted out to a 13-4 lead in the opening set. York got no closer than six points the rest of the set as the Bulldogs cruised to the set one win, 25-16.
• York turned the tables to start the second set, scoring the first five points of the set on the strength of Gabby Emeigh's service game. She had one service ace during the run. York eventually pushed the lead to 10-3. The Bulldogs trimmed their deficit to four at 14-10, but York scored three of the next four points to push the lead to 17-11. The Bulldogs scored eight of the next ten points, tying the set at 19. York took advantage of a DeSales service error and a ball handling error to take the 21-19 lead. The teams alternated the next six points as York held a 24-22 lead. York closed out the set with an Emeigh service ace to even the match at one set each.
• York got off to a quick start in the third set as they scored four of the first five points of the game. York kept the lead until DeSales ripped off a 5-0 run to take an 11-9. York answered by scoring four of the next five points for the 13-12 lead. The Bulldogs hit York with a 7-1 run that gave DeSales a 19-14 lead. York trimmed their deficit to three at 20-17 but DeSales scored five of the final six points of set to seal the 25-18 set three win.
• York began the fourth set looking to keep the match going. York got off to another good start with a quick 5-1 lead. The Bulldogs battled back and tied the set at seven. That began a stretch of close play where there were three ties and three lead changes. The set stayed close until York fashioned a 13-4 run to close out the set and force a fifth set.
• In the fifth set, DeSales jumped out to a 3-1 lead only to have York score the next seven points for an 8-3 lead. The Bulldogs answered with a 6-0 run to take a 9-8 lead. The teams would be tied at nine, 10, 11, 12 and 13 before York got a pair of Brooke Krebs' kills to end the match 15-13.
The Spartans improve to 1-1 in five set matches … York recorded a season-high 58 kills and 206 attack attempts … York had 11 service aces, the third time this year they had reached double figures service aces … Conversely, York had a season-low five service errors in the win … after starting the season with 39 service errors in their first three matches of the season, the Spartans have had 36 in their last five matches … York had 88 digs including a season-high of 36 from senior libero Alexis Harbold … York did not record a solo block for just the third time this year … however, the Spartans did have 14 block assists, the fourth time this year they have reached double figures in the match.
York returns to action on Saturday when they head back to Messiah to square off against the Falcons and New Rochelle in their two tournament games. The Spartans and Falcons face off at 11:00 am while York and New Rochelle play at 3:00 pm.