SALISBURY, MD – The Salisbury University Sea Gull volleyball squad overcame a 2-0 deficit to outlast the York College Spartans in the opening round of the 2017 Capital Athletic Conference championship tournament. The Sea Gulls advance to face the top seeded Christopher Newport Captains in the conference semifinals on Thursday.
Match Scores: Salisbury defeats York 20-25, 16-25, 25-19, 25-19, 15-
Records: York (Pa.) 19-10 (Fifth Seed), Salisbury 19-9 (Fourth Seed)
Kills: York 40, SAL 54
Errors: York 19, SAL 28
Attack %: York .134, SAL .149
Assists: York 37, SAL 47
Service Aces: York 6, SAL 7
Service Errors: York 12, SAL 14
Digs: York 78, SAL 85
Block Solos: York 4, SAL 4
Block Assists: York 20, SAL 8
How it Happened:
• In the opening set, the Spartans jumped out to a quick 4-1 lead. York built the lead to 13-8 on a Tyler Williams kill. Salisbury but the lead to 16-13 but York ripped off three straight points to push the lead to six at 19-13. Salisbury answered with a run of their own, cutting York's lead to 20-18. However, the Spartans rebounded to score five of the final seven points of the set to take the early lead.
• York got off to a great start in set two as they sprinted out to an 8-3 lead. Salisbury trimmed the York lead to 10-7 but York went on a 6-0 run to fully seize control of the set. The Spartan lead would not fall below eight the rest of the way as they cruised to the 2-0 lead in the match.
• The third set was back and forth from the start. The Spartans led 7-5 when Salisbury ripped off an 11-1 run to turn the deficit into a 14-8 lead. York cut their deficit to three at 15-12. The Gulls pushed the lead to six but York went on a 6-1 spurt to close the Sea Gull lead to one at 20-19. Salisbury finished the match with five straight points to steal game three and keep the match alive.
• The fourth set was close early as there were three ties in the first 12 points. With the set tied at six, Salisbury pushed out to a 13-9 lead. York cut the lead to three only to have Salisbury push the lead to seven at 20-13. York would not get closer than five points the remainder of the game as they forced a decisive fifth set.
• The Spartans really never got in gear in the fifth set as Salisbury sprinted out to a 9-4 lead. York scored the next point but the Gulls closed out the match by scoring six of the final seven points of the match. The Green and White didn't help themselves as they hit -1.05 (2-4-19) in the fatal fifth set. Conversely, Salisbury hit .278 (7-2-18) in set five.
Eryn Brady: 14 kills, .225 attack %, 1 assist, 2 digs, 2 solo blocks, 16 points
Kierstin Grove: 8 kills, .438 attack %, 1 dig, 6 block assists, 11 points
Brooke Krebs: 6 kills, 18 digs, 2 block assists, 8 points
Alexis Harbold: 29 digs, 3 assists
Gabby Emeigh: 26 assists, 3 service aces, 11 digs, 1 block assist
Molly McCann:7 assists, 2 service aces, 6 digs
Sea Gull Leaders
Nicole Venturellii: 12 kills, .042 attack %, 6 digs, 12 points
Lacey Swartout: 11 kills, .194 attack %, 10 digs, 1 block assist, 12.5 points
Gianna Savarese: 10 kills, .300 attack %, 3 solo blocks, 2 block assists, 14 points
Carley Cleland: 8 kills, 2 digs, 1 block assist
Racel Dubbs: 19 assists, 12 digs, 1 service ace
Alexis Howatt: 21 assists, 3 kills, 2 digs, 2 block assists
Hailey Dougherty: 25 digs, 6 assists, 1 service ace
The Spartans are now 6-2 in five set matches for the year … York hit .257 in the first set and .303 in the second set but .000 in the third, .105 in the fourth and -.105 in the fifth … York finished the year with a three match-losing streak, their longest skid of the year … junior libero Alexis Harbold ends her second year in the Green and White with 1,029 career digs in 209 sets played, good for an average of 4.92 digs per set … freshman Kierstin Grove tied her career-high with eight kills … junior Eryn Brady notched her ninth double digit kill effort of the year … sophomore Gabby Emeigh finished three aces short of Megan Brillhart's school record of 79 for the year … Harbold's digs per set average of 5.23 ranks seventh on the single season list … Madyson Whitcomb finished the season with a blocks per set average of 1.05, good for fourth on the single season list.
The loss concludes the season for the Spartans as they just missed earning 20 wins for the season. The good news for head coach Dan Mickle is the Spartans return their entire roster for the 2018 season.