ANNVILLE, PA – The York College women's tennis squad opened up their fall season, one day later than they expected to, and the Spartans earned an 8-1 win over Lebanon Valley in Annville on Sunday afternoon. The Spartans were scheduled to open their fall season on Saturday against Albright but the Lions were unable to field a squad.
Spartan Winners vs Lebanon Valley
1. Rachel Wagner def. Melanie Haas, 6-1, 7-5
2. Gina Liguori def. Rachel Duong, 6-2, 6-0
3. Maisie Supp def. Emily Wilczek, 2-6, 6-3, 10-2
5. Chole Doyle def. Elizabeth Drda, 7-5, 6-1
6. Hannah Shinsky def. Leah Wingert, 7-6, 6-0
1. Rachel Wagner/Gina Liguori def. Melanie Haas/Emily Wilczek, 8-6
2. Maisie Supp/Hannah Shinsky def. Rachel Duong/Meridyth Sanders, 9-7
3. Jessica Sherman/Chole Doyle def. Elizabeth Drda/Leah Wingert, 8-5
The Spartans have now won four straight season-opening matches … this is the first match between the two programs since the Flying Dutchmen earned an 8-1 win on March 2, 2015 in Hilton Head, S.C. … senior Rachel Wagner earned her 29th career singles victory in the match … Wagner is two wins away from tying Katelyn Acker for second place on the all-time wins list … Wagner is 12 wins away from tying former teammate Katie Wagner for first on the all-time wins list … Wagner is now 29-13 for her career … Wagner teamed up with Gina Liguori to earn her 30th doubles win as a Spartan.
The Spartans return to action on Sunday, September 23 when they travel to Elizabethtown College for a 12:00 pm non-conference match.