YORK, PA – The York College women's soccer team carried the play the majority of the day against their Capital Athletic Conference foe Southern Virginia University. Unfortunately for the Spartans, the Knights had the better of the final score as SVU knocked off York 3-2 in conference play on Saturday. The Knights win was their first ever against the Spartans as they entered the match 0-6 all-time against the Green and White.
Final Score: York 2, Southern Virginia 3
Records: York 4-8 (1-2 CAC), SVU 3-8-1 (1-2 CAC)
Shots: York 24, SVU 4
Shots on Goal: York 11, SVU 4
Corner Kicks: York 11, SVU 0
Saves: York 1, SVU 9
Fouls: York 9, SVU 7
How It Happened:
• The Spartans got off to a fast start in the game as senior Natalie McCarthy scored off a Megan Stoltzfus pass. Stoltzfus forced a turnover by a Southern Virginia defender and slid a pass to McCarthy who finished off the chance for the 1-0 Spartan lead in the 10th minute of play.
• The Knights took advantage of their first opportunity in the game as Shayli Nakamoto collected a loose ball outside the box and converted the chance with a goal, tying the score at one in the 18th minute of play.
• The Spartans would continue to pressure the Knight defense but Southern Virginia and goalie Savannah Uri would not fold as the teams headed to the half tied at one. York outshot the Knights 8-1 in addition to holding a 3-0 margin in corner kicks.
• The Knights took their first lead of the day on their first opportunity of the second half as Tori Wescott scooped up a loose ball off a Spartan turnover in their defensive third. Wescott hit a strong shot across the goalmouth and tucked the shot inside the far left post for the 2-1 Southern Virginia lead in the 51st minute of play.
• The Spartans continued to pepper Uri and the Knight defense but the Spartans wouldn't be able to find the back of the net as SVU continued to hold the lead on the scoreboard.
• Southern Virginia netted a back-breaking goal in the 68th minute as Holly Cunha hit a long ball from the right wing. As the ball was bouncing toward the goal, Wescott tapped it inside the left post for the 3-1 Knight lead. At the time of the goal, the Knights had scored on all three shots of the game.
• York went into full pressure mode and that paid off in the 72nd minute as McCarthy hit a header into the back of the net off a Jenna Terenchin corner kick to bring York to within one.
• York continued to push forward as they fired off five straight shots over the next 10 minutes. York's final gasp came with five seconds left as Stoltzfus captured a long outlet pass and fired off a shot from the top of the box that looked like it was ticketed for the back of the net just under the cross bar. However, Uri made a fingertip save as the ball was just redirected over the cross bar, preserving the Knight win with the fantastic save on a brilliant shot.
Natalie McCarthy: 2 goals, 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
Megan Stoltzfus: 1 assist, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Jenna Terenchin: 1 assist, 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
Jenna Holthaus: 4 shots, 1 shot on goal
Rachel Wilhelm: 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
Tori Wescott: 2 goals, 2 shots on goal
Shayli Nakamoto: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Holly Cunha: 1 assist, 1 shot on goal
Jillian Kozak (YCP): 90:00 minutes played, 3 goals allowed, 1 save (Loss, 4-3)
Savanah Uri (SVU): 90:00 minutes played, 2 goals allowed, 8 saves (Win, 2-5)
The Spartans are now 6-1 all-time against the Knights … freshman keeper Jillian Kozak allowed a career-high three goals in the loss … Kozak had allowed just four goals in her previous six games for the Green and White … the Spartans fired off a season-high 24 shots with 11 coming on cage … York had a season-high 11 corner kicks … senior Natalie McCarthy two goals tied her career-high which came earlier this year against Marywood … McCarthy now has six goals which is one better than her total from last year … McCarthy now has 14 career goals for the Spartans.
The Spartans return to action Wednesday afternoon when they head to Salisbury to face the Sea Gulls in a Capital Athletic Conference action. Kick-off is slated for 4:00 pm in Salisbury, Maryland.