YORK, PA – The Spartans women's soccer team took down the Blue Jays on a beautiful night in York. The Green and White scored a goal in each half to defeat the Elizabethtown College Blue Jays 2-1 and notch their second win in the last three games.
Final Score: York 2, Elizabethtown 1
Records: York 3-6, Elizabethtown 4-2-1
Shots: York 7, Elizabethtown 11
Shots on Goal: York 5, Elizabethtown 5
Corner Kicks: York 2, Elizabethtown 2
Saves: York 4, Elizabethtown 3
Fouls: York 9, Elizabethtown 2
How It Happened:
• The Blue Jays were quick to get their attack going. In the seventh minute, sophomore Samantha Wanamaker forced Spartan goalkeeper Jillian Kozak to make her first save of the game.
• The Spartans countered right back with some offense of their own. Freshman Rori Englert sent a ball into the box from near the end line. Junior forward Erin Baier was able to get her foot on the end of the pass and tap the ball past Elizabethtown goalkeeper Trinity Soto to give the Green and White a 1-0 lead in the eighth minute.
• Elizabethtown equalized late in the first half. Sophomore Angela Carcella was able to find senior Lydia Lawson with a pass through traffic. Carcella calmly gathered the pass and slotted home the shot to tie the game at one with just 11 minutes remaining in the half.
• Most of the second half featured both sides going back and forth. Each team had a few chances but neither team was able to take advantage of them.
• The Spartans were able to break through late in the second half. Senior Georgia Gillcrist gathered a pass just near midfield and dribbled towards the Blue Jay defense. Senior Natalie McCarthy made a streaking run and was able to get in behind the defenders. Gilchrist played a pass to McCarthy who was one-on-one with Soto. McCarthy shot low and to the goalie's right and the ball nestled into the back of the net to give the Spartans a late 2-1 lead. A lead with which they would hold to secure a 2-1 win.
Natalie McCarthy: 1 goal, 4 shots
Erin Baier: 1 goal, 2 shots
Rori Englert: 1 assist
Georgia Gillcrist: 1 assist
Blue Jay Leaders
Lydia Lawson: 1 goal, 3 shots
Angela Carcella: 1 assist
Samantha Wanamaker: 3 shots
Brinley Beveridge: 2 shots
Jillian Kozak (YCP): 90:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 3 saves (Win,3-1)
Trinity Soto (E-town): 90 minutes played, 2 goals against, 4 saves (Loss, 4-2-1)
York is 5-7-3 all-time against the Blue Jays from Elizabethtown College … the Spartans have won the last two games in the series … the last game between the two was a 2-1 Spartan win on September 26, 2018 … senior midfielder Natalie McCarthy has recorded multiple points in three games this season with a goal against the Blue Jays … junior forward Erin Baier recorded her first goal of the season with her eighth minute goal in the win.
The Spartans begin conference play on Saturday, September 28 as they travel to Newport News, Virginia where they will face #4 Christopher Newport, Kick-off for this game is slated for 5:00 pm.
Story written by Trey Piper, York College Athletic Communications Student Assistant