ARLINGTON, VA – The York College women's soccer squad broke out of their season-opening slump in a big way with a 4-1 non-conference win at Marymount on a steamy Wednesday night in Arlington. The Spartans had opened the 2019 campaign with three straight one-goal losses.
Final Score: York 4, Marymount 1
Records: York 1-3, Marymount 0-1-2
Shots: York 17, Marymount 5
Shots on Goal: York 10, Marymount 2
Corner Kicks: York 7, Marymount 0
Saves: York 1, Marymount 6
Fouls: York 6, Marymount 5
How It Happened:
• The Spartans wasted little time in getting on the board. Freshman Jenna Terenchin collected a Natalie McCarthy pass and banged home a shot from the right side of the box. The goal came exactly eight minutes into the game and was Terenchin's first collegiate tally.
• The Spartans outshot the Saints 9-1 in the first half but would only have the one goal advantage at the break. The Spartans had a 4-0 margin in first half corner kicks while the shots on goal were 4-1 in favor of the Green and White.
• Terenchin made it 2-0 Spartans in the 52nd minute as she took a pass from Erin Baier and poked it past goalie Madison Foltz for her second goal of the game. The Saints sliced the Spartan lead in half with a Sita Nair goal off an assist from Karen Reyes in the 63rd minute.
• The Green and White answered with a rocket off the foot of senior captain Ally Badman as she converted a 25-yard bomb for the 3-1 Spartan lead. Badman's goal came in the 71st minute.
• McCarthy closed out the scoring in the 88th minute as she collected a loose ball in the box and poked a shot into the back of the net for her first goal of the year.
Jenna Terenchin: 2 goals, 4 shots, 2 shots on goal
Natalie McCarthy: 1 goal, 1 assist, 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
Ally Badman: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal
Erin Baier: 1 assist
Anna Morton: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Sita Nair: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Karen Reyes: 1 assist, 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
Jillian Kozak (YCP): 90:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 1 save (Win, 1-1)
Madison Foltz (MMU): 61:09 minutes played, 2 goals against, 3 saves (Loss, 0-1-1)
Maia Pappadakis (MMU): 28:51 minutes played, 2 goals against, 3 saves
York has dominated the long series with Marymount as the Saints were also a founding member of the Capital Athletic Conference … York has now won 16 straight against the Saints as they are 24-2 in the all-time series … Marymount left the CAC last year to join the Atlantic East Conference … freshman goalie Jillian Kozak earned her first collegiate win in her second start as she allowed one goal and made one save … the four goals were a season-high for the Spartans after they got shut out in their 1-0 loss to McDaniel on Saturday … the Spartans had a season-high seven corner kicks … York fired off a season-high 17 shots in the win … York allowed a season-low five shots against them in the game … senior Natalie McCarthy now leads the team in scoring with five points on a goal and a team-high three assists … Ally Badman, Anna Morton, and Jenna Terenchin all have two goals each for four points.
The Spartans close out their three-game road trip with a trek to Allentown, PA to face the DeSales University Bulldogs. Game time is set for 1:00 pm.