YORK, PA – The York College women's soccer team dropped a wild 4-3 opener against Catholic University on a warm Friday night in York. The Spartans trailed 4-0 with just over 20 minutes left in the game but staged a furious rally that fell just short.
Final Score: York 3, CUA 4
Records: York 0-1, CUA 1-0
Shots: York 16, CUA 15
Shots on Goal: York 7, CUA 7
Corner Kicks: York 3, CUA 2
Saves: York 4, CUA 3
Fouls: York 14, CUA 11
How It Happened:
• The early stages of the game featured two teams going back and forth until Catholic drew first blood in the 15th minute. Catholic's Krista Boretti gathered a loose ball just outside the box, dribbled herself free before lofting an arching shot into the upper left 90 beyond the outstretched arms of Spartan goalie Cat McCarty.
• The Cardinals added to the lead just over two minutes later as Elizabeth Johnson slid a long pass to Grace Boras who collected the pass and slipped a shot across the goalmouth inside the far right post for the 2-0 Catholic lead.
• The Spartans ended the first half strong but couldn't put anything on target as all six of York's first half missed the cage. York outshot Catholic 6-4 and had a 3-0 edge in corner kicks but CUA still held a 2-0 lead at the break.
• Johnson made it 3-0 Catholic just over eight minutes into the second half. Alexa Adelmann hit a long through ball to Johnson who settled the ball and finished inside the left post for a commanding lead.
• The Cardinals got a very questionable call on a Spartan foul inside the box on the end line as two players were jostling for the ball. The call allowed Maggie Moorcones to get a penalty kick opportunity with 26:18 left in the game. Moorcones finished the chance inside the left post for the 4-0 lead. The goal looked like it was just icing on the cake at the time but would prove to be the game-winning goal thanks to the furious Spartan rally.
• The Spartan uprising began in the 73rd minute as captain Natalie McCarthy pitched a long ball forward to fellow senior Georgia Gillcrist. Gillcrist settled the ball and slipped a shot past Catholic goalie Nina Fernandez for York's first tally of the year.
• Senior captain Ally Badman made it 4-2 as she finished off a brilliant cross from senior Ryan Hussey in the 80th minute. Hussey hit the pass from the left side of the box and Badman one timed the shot for the goal.
• The next Spartan goal came just over two minutes later as sophomore Megan Stoltzfus hit a cross from outside the right side of the box. The pass found the foot of freshman Anna Morton who banged home the goal for her first collegiate tally.
• The Spartans had their last chance in the final 15 seconds as Badman cranked a shot from long distance but Fernandez made a simple save to preserve the win for the Cardinals.
Georgia Gillcrist: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Ally Badman: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal
Anna Morton: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Natalie McCarthy: 1 assist, 4 shots, 2 shots on goal
Ryan Hussey: 1 assist, 1 shot
Megan Stoltzfus: 1 assist, 1 shot
Elizabeth Johnson: 1 goal, 1 assist, 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
Krista Boretti: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Grace Boras: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Maggie Moorcones: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Cat McCarty (YCP): 90:00 minutes played, 4 goals against, 3 saves (Loss, 0-1)
Nina Fernandez (CUA): 90:00 minutes played, 3 goals against, 4 saves (Win, 1-0)
York is now 11-10-3 all-time in season openers under head coach Vicki Sterner as the Spartans opened their 24th season as a varsity program … York is 230-172-36 all-time under Sterner, the only coach in the history of the program … the Spartans are now 10-8-3 all-time against the Cardinals as CUA has won three straight in the series … the goal for senior Ally Badman was her first career goal in 41 games in the Green and White.
The Spartans stay at home on Wednesday night as they will host Franklin & Marshall College in a non-conference contest. Kick-off is slated for 7:00 pm at Graham Field.