YORK, PA – The York College women's soccer team dominated Wesley College 4-0 on Wednesday at Graham Field in Capital Athletic Conference play behind goals from three different scorers, including a brace from Caitlin Rankin. The Spartans unleashed a season-high 44 shots, placing 20 on target to stay right in the thick of the playoff chase.
Records: York 3-9-2 (2-4-1 CAC), Wesley 3-10-1 (0-7 CAC)
Shots: York 44, Wesley 3
Shots on goal: York 20, Wesley 2
Corner kicks: York 13, Wesley 1
Saves: York 2, Wesley 16
Fouls: York 6, Wesley 8
How It Happened
• York dominated the opening 10 minutes, launching seven shots, while putting four on target. The Spartans couldn't muster an early goal, but set the tone for the rest of the game.
• Natalie McCarthy had a few early chances, logging four early shots. Caitlin Rankin received a pass from her sister Alyssa Rankin in the 13th minute just outside the six-yard box, but her shot missed wide.
• Wesley's first shot came in the 16th minute, but Jess Wieber easily made the save.
• In the 26th minute, York had its best chance of the game when Georgia Gillcrist was slipped in behind down the right side, and slid one across to Caitlin Rankin, but again, her shot was turned away.
• Finally, the goal came. Maxine Herman turned just outside the box and whipped a left-footed shot in the bottom left corner.
• The Spartans doubled their lead in the 42nd minute after Jo Nicholson dribbled down the left wing and found Emily Munkittrick in the box. Munkittrick put away the chance, scoring her second of the season and boosting the York lead to 2-0.
• York dominated the opening 45 minutes, tallying 23 shots, putting 12 on target while conceding just three total shots.
• The second half was more of the same for York, unleashing 21 more shots. Caitlin Rankin got into the scoring action early in the second period, burying her chance in the 49th minute. Herman played it to Rankin at the top of the box, and she was able to beat a defender and put it past the Wesley goalie.
• Rankin would add another one less than five minutes later when Alyssa played a through ball, creating a one-on-one situation with the goalie that Rankin made look easy. She calmly placed the ball in the side netting giving York its fourth goal of the game, as they cruised to a 4-0 win.
Caitlin Rankin: 2 goals, 7 shots, 4 shots on goal
Maxine Herman: 1 goal, 1 assist, 5 shots, 2 shots on goal
Emily Munkittrick: 1 goal, 5 shots, 1 shot on goal
Natalie McCarthy: 9 shots, 5 shots on goal
Janiah Moore: 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Jess Wieber (York): 90 minutes played, 0 goals against, 2 saves (W, 3-8-2)
Krista Salvadore (Wesley): 90 minutes played, 4 goals against, 16 saves (L, 3-6-1)
The Spartans are now 16-0-1 all-time against Wesley … York has taken the last five meetings with the Wolverines … the Green and White unleashed 44 shots, a season-high by 25 … the win marked the third time this season York has produced four goals in a game … Caitlin Rankin scored two goals in a game for the first time this season … she leads the team in goals (6) and points (14) … Maxine Herman tallied at least one goal and one assist in the same game for the second time this season … the shutout was Jess Wieber's third of the season … her goals against average has dropped to 1.42 after conceding just a single goal in the last two games … the win improves the Spartans to 2-4-1 in CAC play, and right in the middle of the playoff picture.
The Spartans stay at familiar Graham Field to host Southern Virginia on Saturday. York has enjoyed success against the Knights, winning all four meetings all-time. Kickoff is set for 12:30 p.m.