GETTYSBURG, PA – The #23 York College wrestling squad cruised to a 31-15 victory in their final tune-up before the regional tournament in non-conference action on Thursday evening in Gettysburg, PA.
The win pushes the York record to 14-3 and have won seven straight matches to end the season before the Regional tournament.
Top Spartan Performers
• 133 pounds: Freshman Tyson McDuffy opened up an early 10-1 advantage in the first two rounds before quickly knocking Alex Shaffer back from the neutral position and pinning Shaffer at the 5:12 mark.
• 149 pounds: Senior Greg Warner posted six quick points on a take down and pair of two-point near-falls and cruised through the third period to take a 9-0 lead and give York a commanding 16-3 advantage after four weight classes.
• 165 pounds: Sophomore Jesse Rocco used a takedown, a reversal, and a four-point near-fall to take control of the match. Rocco finished off Canomico in the third having complete control by that point and pushing the Spartan lead to 20-9 with his major decision.
• 184 pounds: Senior Frankie Krauss dominated his match has he accumulated four takedowns before finishing off the bout eventually pinning Dan Ebert at the 2:57 mark to give York a 26-12 lead with two matches remaining.
• 197 pounds: Senior Jesse Huber followed up teammate Krauss' match by dominating his own taking an early lead and never looking back as he cruised to a 17-1 tech fall at the 5:10 mark. York led 31-12 after Huber's win.
Freshman Tyson McDuffy picked up his seventh win on the year and recorded his first pin fall of his Spartan career … senior Greg Warner continued to roll winning his 25th match of the year giving him a staggering 122 on his career … sophomore Jesse Rocco won his 15th match on the year and recorded his third major decision win on the season … senior Frankie Krauss picked up his team leading 27th victory on the year with his fourth pin on the season and now has 87 career wins to his name … Jesse Huber continued his strong senior campaign with his 19th win on the season and picked up his third tech fall.
The Spartans will head out to Williamsport, Pennsylvania for the Southeast Regional tournament. The two-day event will begin at 9:00 am on Friday, February 22 and continue at 9:00 am the following day on the 23rd.