YORK, PA – The eighth-ranked York College Spartans women's lacrosse squad opened their stay in the Capital Athletic Conference tournament with a resounding 20-3 victory over Southern Virginia on a sunny, but very windy, Saturday afternoon in York. The Spartans are the second seed in the tournament while the Knights were the tournament's seventh seed. The Spartans had 11 players score goals and 11 players dish out at least one assist in the balanced victory.
The Spartans advance to host third seeded Mary Washington as the Eagles were 21-4 victors over Frostburg State in their contest on Saturday.
Game #18 – Capital Athletic Conference Quarterfinals
Final Score: #8 York (Pa.) 20, Southern Virginia 3
Records: York (Pa.) 13-5, SVU 9-9
Shots: York 33, SVU 6
Shots on Goal: York 27, SVU 5
Ground Balls: York 19, SVU 11
Turnovers: York 15, SVU 17
Clears: York 8-for-9, SVU 5-for-17
Draw Controls: York 20, SVU 4
Free Position Shots: York 0-for-0, SVU 0-for-0
Saves: York 2, SVU 7
Fouls: York 11, SVU 2
How It Happened:
• The Spartans got off to another fast start against the Knights as the Green and White won the opening draw and scored when Meghan Fox fed a cutting Caitlin Rankin for the opening goal, 50 seconds into the contest. York made it 2-0 on the next possession as Fox finished a Regan Cook pass 25 seconds later. Cook scored the next three goals for the Spartans to make it 5-0 just six and a half minutes into the game.
• The Knights stopped the bleeding with a Jordan Gundersen goal with 23:02 remaining in the first half. Unfortunately for the Knights, the Spartans answered with a ten goal flurry to head to the half with a 15-1 lead.
• The Spartans scored their 15 first half goals on 27 shots as they put 22 of those shots on target. Southern Virginia goalie Madilyn Pedroza made seven first half saves for the Knights. In addition to the advantage in shots, York won 15 of 16 first half draw controls. York had ten different goal scorers in the first half led by Cook with three while Rankin and Madison Marciniak added two each. Baleigh Bradley added a goal and three first-half assists for the Green and White.
• The Spartans added another goal to their run to start the second half as Bradley found the back of the cage 48 seconds into the half. The Knights ended the York run with a Hannah King goal off a pass from Megan Barfuss, stopping the Spartan run at 11 goals. The Spartans answered with goals from Marciniak, Jenna Cholowinski, Riley Roeder and Rachel Della to push the lead to 20-2 with 8:43 left in the game.
• The Knights closed out the scoring with a Chloe Mitchell goal with 5:53 left in the game.
Baleigh Bradley: 2 goals, 4 assists
Madison Marciniak: 3 goals, 1 assist
Regan Cook: 3 goals, 1 assist
Jenna Cholowinski: 2 goals, 1 assist, 2 ground balls, 1 draw control
Teresa Matthias: 2 goals, 1 ground ball
Rachel Della: 2 goals, 1 ground ball
Celly Arthur: 1 goal, 4 assists, 1 ground ball, 1 caused turnover
Tabitha Cobb: 7 draw controls, 1 ground ball
Jordan Gundersen: 1 goal, 3 ground balls, 2 draw controls
Chloe Mitchell: 1 goal, 1 ground ball, 1 draw control
Hannah King: 1 goal, 2 ground balls
Holly Cunha: 4 ground balls
Abby Smith (YCP): 17:24 minutes played, 1 goal against, 0 saves (Win, 13-5)
Riley DiFiore (YCP): 42:36 minutes played, 2 goals against, 2 saves
Madilyn Pedroza (SVU): 30:00 minutes played, 15 goals against, 7 assists (Loss, 6-6)
Mary-Kate Johnson (SVU): 30:00 minutes played, 5 goals against, 0 saves
The game is the first CAC Tournament meeting between the two programs … the Spartans are now 7-0 against Southern Virginia … the Spartans have outscored the Knights 129-18 in their seven meetings … the Spartans defeated the Knights 20-3 in their regular season meeting on April 12 in York … the Spartans are now 9-13 all-time in the CAC Tournament … York is now 4-4 in first round games as they have won three straight quarterfinal games … the Knights entered the game leading the CAC in ground balls at 25.8 ground balls per game but only scooped up 11 in the loss to the Spartans … the Spartans collected 20 draw controls in 24 attempts and that's the second time this season the Spartans have gotten 20 or more draw controls in a game (22 vs. CNU on March 30) … the Spartan starters all played less than ten minutes in the game … freshman Celly Arthur tied her career high with five points on her goal and career-high four assists … her four assists ranks eighth on the single game list … junior Baleigh Bradley set a new career-high with her six assists as her two goals and four assists were both career bests … Bradley tied Arthur with four assists in the win … freshman Jenna Cholowinski tied her career-high with two goals in the win … Cholowinski has scored four of her nine goals for the year in the two wins over SVU … sophomore Tabitha Cobb collected a career-high seven draw controls in the win … freshman Olivia Kohr had a career-high two ground balls and a caused turnover in the victory … sophomore Madison Marciniak tallied a new career-high with four points while she tied her career-high with three goals … freshman Teresa Matthias tied her career-high with two goals and two points … freshman Riley Roeder set a new career-high with her two points on a goal and an assist.
The Spartans will host third seeded Mary Washington in the Capital Athletic Conference semifinals on Tuesday at Kinsley Field. Game time will be determined on Sunday and posted on the Spartan athletics website.