CLEARWATER, FLA – The seventh ranked York College women's lacrosse squad staged a late rally in regulation and then got a game-winning goal from Regan Cook 1:54 into overtime to lift York to a 10-9 win over #17 St. John Fisher on a rainy Tuesday morning in Clearwater, Florida.
The Spartans have now played back-to-back overtime games.
Final Score: #7 York (Pa.) 10, #17 St. John Fisher 9
Records: York (Pa.) 3-1, SJF 1-1
Shots: York 20, SJF 22
Shots on Goal: York 14, SJF 19
Ground Balls: York 20, SJF 23
Turnovers: York 21, SJF 18
Clears: York 17-for-21, SJF 17-for-22
Draw Controls: York 9, SJF 11
Free Position Shots: York 3-for-8, SJF 4-for-8
Saves: York 10, SJF 4
How It Happened:
• The Cardinals opened the scoring in the third minute of the game as Mallory Eymer found the back of the cage on a free position shot for the 1-0 lead. York responded with a free position goal from Meghan Fox and a Regan Cook goal to give York a 2-1 lead. The Cardinals got a trio of goals to end the first half to take a 4-2 lead to the break.
• York tied the game when Fox and Devin Hursey scored to open the second half. The Cardinals answered with three straight goals to take a 7-4 advantage. Caitlin Rankin notched a free position goal with 10:13 left in regulation to cut the Cardinal led to 7-5. Hursey made it 7-6 with a goal off a Chloe MacDonald pass with 5:23 left in the half.
• The Cardinals scored two of the next three goals as they led 9-7 with just 2:40 left in regulation. The Spartans drew to within a goal as Fox tallied an unassisted goal with just 48 seconds left in regulation.
• The Cardinals won the ensuing draw control but senior Nicole Clauter forced a turnover and picked up a ground ball with 24 seconds left. The possession would prove to be very beneficial as Fox scored a goal off a Jordan Conley pass with just two seconds left in regulation, knotting the game at nine.
• Clauter was at it again in overtime as she caused another Cardinal turnover and picked up the ground ball to earn York the possession. Hursey found Cook for the game-winner as York earned the dramatic overtime victory.
Meghan Fox: 4 goals, 3 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers, 1-for-1 FPS
Regan Cook: 2 goals, 1 assist
Devin Hursey: 2 goals, 1 assist, 1 caused turnover, 1-for-1 FPS
Jordan Conley: 1 goal, 1 assist
Nicole Clauter: 3 draw controls, 3 ground balls, 3 caused turnovers
Chloe MacDonald: 2 assists, 1 ground ball, 4 draw controls, 1 caused turnover
Mallory Eymer: 4 goals, 1 ground ball, 3-for-3 FPS, 1 caused turnover
Alyssa Sproule: 3 goals, 2 ground balls
Logan Chase: 1 goal, 4 ground balls, 6 draw controls, 2 caused turnover
Sydney DeGirolam: 1 goal, 1 assist, 4 draw controls, 1-for-1 FPS
Abby Smith (YCP): 61:06 minutes played, 9 goals against, 10 saves (Win, 3-1)
Claudia Mocciaro (SJF): 61:06 minutes played, 10 goals against, 4 saves (Loss, 1-1)
The Spartans improve to 4-0 against St. John Fisher … two of those wins have come in the NCAA Tournament … the Spartans snapped their two-game overtime losing streak … York has scored at least two free position goals in their last three games … York tied their season-high with 20 ground balls in the win … York committed a season-high 21 turnovers in the game … York created a season-high 11 caused turnovers … senior Abby Smith notched her second straight game of double figures in saves as she made ten stops in the game … junior Regan Cook picked up her first game-winning goal of the year … it is the seventh game-winning goal of Cook's career … Meghan Fox now leads the team with 14 goals while Devin Hursey leads the team in points with 17 and assists with eight … Cook is the third Spartan in double figures with 11 points on nine goals and two assists … senior All-American Nicole Clauter has collected a team-high 23 draw controls while she has also forced 10 caused turnovers and scooped up nine ground balls.
The Spartans are now off until March 13 when they are scheduled to host Lebanon Valley in a non-conference contest at Kinsley Field. The match is slated for a 6:00 pm start.