FRONT ROYAL, VA – The York College women's golf squad had another record breaking day on Saturday as they shot a school record 315 en route to the first round lead at the Greene Turtle Invitational hosted by Shenandoah University at Shenandoah Valley Golf Club in Front Royal, Virginia.
The Spartans also got a new school record from freshman Shelby Tapman as she fired a 75 as she sits in first place after day one.
Top Five Teams
1. York – 315
2. Stevenson – 319
3. Randolph-Macon – 331
4. Catholic – 348
5. Shenandoah – 360
Top Spartan Performers
• Freshman Shelby Tapman made her first collegiate round a memorable one as she fired a four-over par 75. Tapman holds a two stroke lead heading into Sunday's second round. Tapman's school record comes just one tournament after fellow freshman Anna Moore set a school standard with a 77 at the Carnegie Mellon tournament on September 15.
• Freshman Jordan Koller also played well for York as she is tied for second after a six-over-par 77. Koller, who shot an 81 and an 82 in the season opening tournament, sits two strokes back of Tapman.
• Freshman Anna Moore is tied for eighth after the first round as she shot a nine-over-par 80 for the Green and White.
• Sophomore Emma Harding was York's fourth scorer as she shot an 83 as she is tied for 15th place overall.
• Freshman Brooke Burnette played in the tournament as an individual and she is tied for 20th after shooting an 85. Sophomore Lindsey Bonner was York's fifth tournament participant as she shot an 88 as she is tied for 23rd.
He Said It
"The team got off to a great start today," said Spartan head coach David Boslough. "Shelby and Jordan really stepped up and helped carry us to an early lead. I feel we still left some shots out there today as we struggled on the opening holes. We look forward to cleaning some things up and hopefully shoot an even lower number tomorrow."
The Spartans have broken the school record for lowest team rounds twice already this year … they set the mark in the opening round of the season at Carnegie Mellon with a 321 on September 15 … the Spartans had an average of 378.6 in last year's 17 rounds … currently, the Spartans are averaging 322 in three rounds.
The Spartans will look to earn their first tournament title of the year in Saturday's second round. The Spartans will tee it up starting Sunday at 9:00 am in a shotgun start.