YORK, Pa. – After leading for more than three quarters, the York College women's basketball team weathered a late fourth-quarter surge by Eastern and edged out a 62-60 victory in overtime Friday night inside Wolf Gym. Junior guard Kayla Ferris led fueled the Spartan victory with her fourth double-double performance of the season as she scored 14 points and hauled in a career-best 15 rebounds. Sophomore guard Haley Luckabaugh led the offensive effort with 18 points as four Spartans landed in double-figures.
Score: York 62, Eastern 60
FG: YCP 21-for-60 (35.0%), EU 20-for-68 (29.4%)
3PT FG: YCP 5-for-18 (27.8%), EU 6-for-22 (27.3%)
FT: YCP 15-for-23 (65.2%), EU 14-for-18 (77.8%)
Rebounds: YCP 50, EU 43
Assists: YCP 16, EU 13
Turnovers: YCP 20, EU 14
Blocks: YCP 5, EU 3
Steals: YCP 8, EU 14
How It Happened
• Both teams struggled to gain traction offensively in the first quarter of play as Eastern and York shot a combined 6-for-28 from the floor, but both teams found success at the free throw line as they finished a combined 7-for-8.
• A key three-pointer by Savannah Wilson in the first quarter gave York an early 4-2 edge. The slim margin proved to be enough for the Spartans in the first quarter as they capitalized on a 14-8 rebounding advantage to take a 12-8 lead into the first intermission.
• The Spartans opened up some breathing room midway through the second quarter as they started the frame with an7-1 run, capped by a made runner by Alana Bortner, to give York a 10-point lead. The Eagles responded by scoring the next four points to cut the deficit to six with 4:22 left, but the two teams combined for just four points to finish out the half as York took a 21-15 lead into the locker room.
• The Eagles came out of the halftime break with some offensive juice, converting on two of their first three shot attempts to cut the deficit to two 1:45 into the half. The Spartans countered with an 8-3 run, capped off by a Haley Luckabaugh jumper, to take a seven-point lead with 3:57 left in the third quarter.
• After surrendering a layup to Eastern with 3:37 in the third to cut the York lead to five, the Spartans held the Eagles scoreless for the remainder of the quarter with five defensive stops. Kayla Ferris ended the third-quarter scoring with big three-pointer that swelled the York lead to 10 as the Spartans took a 34-24 lead into the final quarter.
• York's comfortable lead was short lived as Eastern ripped off a 10-5 run less than three minutes into the fourth quarter to cut the deficit to three. Eastern's Minika Glenn knocked down her free throw to complete a critical three-point play with 3:35 left to give the Eagles their first lead since the 2:47 mark of the first quarter.
• The Eastern lead swelled to four with just under two minutes to play, but the Spartans responded by scoring the next four points, including a huge three-pointer by Luckabaugh with 1:10 left to put York back on top, 45-44. The lead then changed five more times in the final minute of regulation.
• With four seconds left in regulation, Wilson drove the lane and drew a foul to go to the line for two free throws. Her first attempt rimed out while her second caught nothing but net as the score stood at 50-50 with two seconds left. On the ensuing possession, Eastern could not enter the ball cleanly and time expired in regulation before either team could gain possession.
• The teams traded three-pointers to open the overtime period before York opened up some breathing room with a four-point lead with 1:40 left as Ferris knocked down a free throw. The Eagles cut the deficit to two points with 1:25 left, but Bortner knocked down all three of her foul shots after being fouled on a three-point attempt which ended up sealing the win for the Spartans.
Kayla Ferris: 14points, 15 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks
Haley Luckabaugh: 18 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists
Molly Day: 10 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 blocks
Jaelyn Harris: 21 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists
Kay Wulah: 12 points, 14 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 blocks, 1 steal
Minika Glenn: 13 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 steals
The win tonight marks the second overtime win of the season for York as the Spartans are now 2-0 in overtime games this season … the Spartans already have more overtime games this season than they did in the previous three seasons combined … Kayla Ferris recorded her fourth double-double performance of the season as she compiled 10 points and hauled in 12 rebounds … Ferris has reached double-digit rebounds five times this season … Molly Day tied her career-high with three blocks on the night … Savannah Wilson posted a season-high three steals … York held the lead from 2:47 into the first quarter and held it until 3:35 left in the fourth quarter … there were seven lead changes in the final 3:35 of the fourth quarter, compared to just one lead change in the first three quarters of the game … Eastern and York combined for 42 points in the fourth quarter as both teams shot over 54% from the field in the quarter … the Spartans compiled 50 rebounds on the night as they have reached 50+ rebounds twice this season … York improves to 2-1 all-time against Eastern and owns a two-game win streak over the Eagles since the series began two seasons ago.
The Spartans hit the road to take on Elizabethtown on Monday night at 6 p.m.