WESTMINSTER, MD – The York College women's basketball team were outscored by 10 in the final period and fell short in a non-conference contest 74-63 at McDaniel on Tuesday night.
York (Pa.): 1-2
FG Shooting (%): York 21-for-62 (33.9%), McDaniel 22-for-58 (37.9%)
Three Point Shooting (%): York 7-for-26 (26.9%), McDaniel 5-for-19 (26.3%)
Free Throw Shooting (%): York 14-for-20 (70%), McDaniel 25-for-35 (71.4%)
Rebounding: York 42 McDaniel 41
Assists: York 16, McDaniel 13
Turnovers: York 17, McDaniel 8
Blocked Shots: York 6, McDaniel 0
Steals: York 6, McDaniel 10
• The first quarter went back and forth with the Spartans taking control after an 8-2 run during the midway points of the period that included a pair of Katie McGowan baskets to give York a 12-7 lead with 3:46 left in the quarter. The Spartans carried this lead into the end of the period as the led 15-11 after ten minutes of play.
• McDaniel came out firing to start the second period as the opened up an eight-point lead through the first five minutes of the quarter on a 12-0 run to give the Green Terror a 23-15 advantage in the second. The Spartans did not record their first point of the quarter until a pair of Alana Bortner free throws with 4:27 remaining to stop the bleeding.
• The Spartans battled from behind and cut the halftime margin to 29-24 after a last-second Molly Day layup before the intermission.
• The Spartans battled back in the third quarter and tied the score twice at 38-38 after a Logynn Fuller three-pointer and at 42-42 on a Molly Day deep-ball. A late McGowan lay-in gave York a short-lived lead before McDaniel's Liv Storer answered with a bucket of her own to put the Spartans behind by one at 45-44 headed into the final period.
• The final stanza started with three-pointers from Victoria Varner and Day to give York a 50-49 advantage with 7:45 left in regulation. The Green Terror grabbed control of the game answered York's hot start to the period with a 13-4 run to push the McDaniel lead to 62-54 with just over three and a half minutes to play. With 42 seconds left, a McGowan three-point-play cut the deficit to six at 67-61 but that was the closest York could get it as McDaniel hit their free throws down the stretch, 20-for-26 in the fourth quarter, and the Spartan shooters went cold as they fell 74-63.
Katie McGowan: 20 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals
Molly Day: 18 points, 6 rebounds, 1 steal, 3-for-5 from 3PT
Kayla Ferris: 8 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks
GREEN TERROR LEADERS
Liv Storer: 19 points, 8 rebounds, 3 steals, 7-for-9 FTs
Renie Tsomos: 11 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals
Caroline Ward: 10 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists
The Spartans scored their fewest points so far this season at 63 while also shooting a season-low 33.9% from the field and 26.9% from deep … York made a season-high 14 free throws and shot a season-best 70% from the charity line … the Spartans protected the rim with a season-high six blocks in the game … senior Katie McGowan recorded her first double-double on the young season on a season-high 20 points and 11 boards … sophomore Molly Day topped her career high in points that she set on Saturday with 18 points in a losing effort … sophomore guard Kayla Ferris has recorded at least eight rebounds in every game this season and leads the team averaging nine boards per game … the loss was the first road defeat for the Spartans this season.
The Spartans will return home as they host the Coaches vs. Cancer Tournament this weekend and will host La Roche College on Friday with a tip time of 5:30 pm. Lycoming and Geneseo will follow the Spartans' contest at 7:30 pm in the other tournament matchup.