YORK, PA – The Spartan softball squad opened their home schedule with a doubleheader sweep of Franklin & Marshall on a sunny but chilly Tuesday afternoon at Spartan Stadium. The Spartan used a five-run inning fourth inning in the opener and then hung on for the 5-3 win. In the nightcap, the Spartans removed all doubt early with four run third inning en route to an 8-0 five-inning win.
York (Pa.): 10-6
Franklin & Marshall 6-6
Score: York (Pa.) 5 – Franklin & Marshall 3
Hits: York 3, F&M 10
Errors: York 3, F&M 1
Left On Base: York 1, F&M 9
Doubles: York 1, F&M 1
Triples: York 0, F&M 0
Home Runs: York 1, F&M 0
How It Happened:
• Both starters were sharp early as the offenses were held in check over the first three innings. Spartan starter Taylor Lindsay allowed a walk in the second while Diplomat starter Emily Moll had a hit batter through the first three innings.
• The offenses got going in the fourth. The Diplomats got a pair of singles to put runners at first and second with one out. Lindsay got a pop up and a strikeout to get out of the inning without any damage. York got cooking in the bottom of the frame as Elle Meyer laid down a bunt single to start the uprising. Meyer stole second to get into scoring position. After a foul out, Mia Ruffalo blasted a double off the centerfield fence to plate Meyer with the first run of the game. Ruffalo moved to second on a Diplomat error and she then scored on a squeeze bunt by Joanna Marmo for the 2-0 Spartan lead. Freshman Indira Purnell then drew a walk to put runners at first and second. After a flyout to center, junior Julie Van O'Linda ripped a three run home run off the foul pole down the left field line, giving York a 5-0 lead. The home run was Van O'Linda's third of the year.
• The Diplomats broke up the shutout in the top of the sixth with a single run but it could have been worse as Lindsay stranded two runners to end the inning.
• F&M made things interesting in the top of the seventh as Lexi Piccinich had an RBI single to right. Ella Glenn followed with an RBI single to left and just like that, the tying run was at first. A ground out moved the tying run to second but Lindsay got a ground out to end the game.
Julie Van O'Linda: 1-for-1, 1 run scored, 3 RBI, HR
Mia Ruffalo: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, 2B
Elle Meyer: 1-for-3, 1 run scored
Taylor Lindsay: 7.0 IP, 10 hits, 3 earned runs, 4 K, 1 BB (Win, 3-2)
Ella Glenn: 3-for-4, 1 run scored, 1 RBI, 2B
Shannon Briggs: 2-for-3, 1 run scored
Lexi Piccinich: 2-for-4, 1 RBI
Emily Moll: 6.0 IP, 3 hits, 5 runs, 4 earned runs, 4 K, 1 BB (Loss, 3-4)
Score: York (Pa.) 8 – Franklin & Marshall 0 (Five Innings)
Hits: York 8, F&M 3
Errors: York 0, F&M 2
Left On Base: York 4, F&M 4
Doubles: York 0, F&M 1
Triples: York 0, F&M 0
Home Runs: York 0, F&M 0
How It Happened:
• York opened the scoring in the first as Elle Meyer and Alyssa Harhigh drew back-to-back walks with one out in the inning. Both players moved up 60 feet on a wild pitch. Meyer then crossed the plate after a second wild pitch in the inning.
• York tacked on four runs in the third when Madison Brumagin drew a lead-off walk and then stole second. She scored on a Shyla Pastore single up the middle to make it 2-0 York. Harhigh then singled to short but the Diplomats had a throwing error, allowing Pastore to score and Harhigh to move to second. Mia Ruffalo laid down a beautiful bunt single that hugged the line to put Spartans at the corners. The Spartans pulled off a double steal as Harhigh made it 4-0. Taylor Lindsay stroked a single up the middle to score Ruffalo as the Spartan lead grew to 5-0.
• While the Spartan offense was clicking, junior starter Ginger Lewis was mowing through the Diplomat lineup. Lewis, who was making her first start since the March 4 win over Mitchell, was strong early as the Diplomats couldn't get anything going. The Dips had a pair of runners on in the second due to walks but Lewis left the runners stranded at first and second.
• The Spartans closed out the game with a three spot in the fourth with a two out uprising. York loaded the bases and then Ruffalo plated a run with a bases loaded walk. The Dips then committed a two-run error that gave York an 8-0 lead.
• F&M got a lead off double to start the fifth but Lewis buckled down and got three straight outs to end the game.
Alyssa Harhigh: 2-for-2, 2 runs scored, 1 BB, SB
Shyla Pastore: 2-for-3, 2 runs scored, 1 RBI
Elle Meyer: 1-for-2, 2 runs scored, 1 BB, SB
Mia Ruffalo: 1-for-2, 1 run scored, 1 RBI, 1 BB, SB
Taylor Lindsay: 1-for-3, 1 RBI
Ginger Lewis: 5.0 IP, 3 hits, 0 runs, 5 K, 2 BB (Win, 3-1)
Christine Miles: 1-for-2, 2B
Caitlyn Erdman: 1-for-2
Lexi Piccinich: 1-for-2
Megan Giesecke: 4.0 IP, 8 hits, 8 runs, 6 earned runs, 2 K, 4 BB (Loss, 0-1)
The Spartans are now 28-23 all-time against the Diplomats as York has won seven straight in the series … the Spartans won game one despite having just three hits in the game … York struck out just six times in the two games while Spartan pitching recorded nine strikeouts in the two games … Julie Van O'Linda extended York's home run streak to three games with her game-one homer while the streak came to an end in game two … Taylor Lindsay and Ginger Lewis combined to allow just three walks and three runs in 12 innings of work … Lewis picked up her second shutout of the year and her 13th career white washing … the win is Lewis's 29th career victory for the Spartans … Lewis is now one win away from tying Staci Lehn for fifth on the all-time wins list.
The Spartans head out on the road on Friday as they head to Randor, Pa. to face Cabrini College in a non-conference doubleheader. First pitch on Friday afternoon is set for 3:00 pm.