CLERMONT, FLA. – The York College softball team picked up another doubleheader split after taking game one against Houghton College 6-1, but falling to Concordia-Moorhead 5-4 in Florida.
York (Pa.): 6-4
Game One Stats
Runs: York 6 / Houghton 1
Hits: York 11 / Houghton 4
Errors: York 2 / Houghton 2
Left on Base: York 6 / Houghton 8
York Offensive Leaders
Joanna Marmo: 3-for-3, RBI, 2B
Indira Purnell: 2-for-2, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, SB
Alyssa Harhigh: 2-for-4, RBI
Madison Brumagin: 1-for-3, 2 RBI, 2B
Houghton Offensive Leaders
Lauren Couturier: 2-for-3, BB, 2 SB
Taylor Sile: 1-for-2, RBI, BB, SB
Hannah Haskell: 1-for-4, 1 run scored
Shyla Pastore: 4.0 innings pitched, 4 hits, 1 run, 0 earned runs, 3 BB, 3 K (W, 2-0)
Taylor Lindsay: 3.0 innings pitched, 1 BB, 5 K (Save, 1)
Kaylee Jentsch: 4.0 innings pitched, 8 hits, 6 runs, 5 earned runs (L, 1-2)
Hannah Cybart: 2.0 innings pitched, 3 hits, K
How It Happened
• The Highlanders drew blood first scoring in the top half of the opening frame after leading off the inning with back-to-back singles from Lauren Couturier and Hannah Haskell. Later in the inning, Haskell would come in to score on an infield single by Taylor Sile.
• York would manufacture the tying run in the third inning. Elle Meyer led off the inning with a single and would later steal second base. After advancing to third on a groundout, Meyer would come in to score on an RBI groundout off the bat of Alyssa Harhigh.
• The Spartans would add a trio of runs in the bottom half of the fourth inning to grab the lead for the first time in the contest. Joanna Marmo would stroke a one-out double to left field and then was relieved of baserunning duties by pinch runner Alexis Jury. Jury would come around to score on an RBI pinch-hit single off the bat of Indira Purnell to give York their first lead 2-1. After Julie Van O'Linda reached base on an error, Madison Brumagin would knock a two-run double to center field to give the Green and White some breathing room with a 4-1 margin.
• York added two insurance runs in the fifth on four hits in the inning. Singles by Harhigh and Taylor Lindsay to start the frame and then RBI-knocks off the bats of Marmo and Purnellwould extend the Spartan advantage to five. The pitching duo of Shyla Pastoreand Lindsay would shut out the Highlanders the final six innings of play and only allowing one hit over that span to secure the 6-1 victory.
Game Two Stats
Runs: York 4 / Concordia M'head 5
Hits: York 9 / Concordia M'head 8
Errors: York 2 / Concordia M'head 1
Left on Base: York 8 / Concordia M'head 5
York Offensive Leaders
Alyssa Harhigh: 4-for-4, 2 RBI, 1 run scored
Joanna Marmo: 2-for-4, 2 RBI
Madison Brumagin: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, SB
Shyla Pastore: 1-for-3, BB
Concordia M'headOffensive Leaders
Maria Pake: 2-for-4, RBI, 2 runs scored, 2B, SB
Elizabeth Asp: 1-for-3, RBI, 2B
Riley Irmen: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, 3B
Callie Ahlgren: 1-for-2, RBI, 1 run scored, 2B
Taylor Lindsay: 2.0 innings pitched, 5 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned runs, K
Samantha Kiser: 4.0 innings pitched, 3 hits, 1 run, 0 earned runs, 4 K (L, 0-1)
Megan Gavin: 7.0 innings pitched, 9 hits, 4 runs, 2 earned runs, 2 BB 10 K (W, 5-0)
How It Happened
• The Cobbers grabbed a quick 4-0 lead through the first two innings. In the first, Maria Pake led off the inning with an infield single followed with stealing second base. Elizabeth Asp would drive in Pake on a two-out double to center for the first run of the game. In the second frame, the Cobbers used three hits to tally three runs. A lead-off single followed by a pair of RBI-doubles from Callie Ahlgren and Pake to go along with a Spartan error gave Concord that early 4-0 advantage.
• York would get one back in the top half of the third starting with a leadoff single from Madison Brumagin. She would later steal second and come around to score on a single off the bat of Alyssa Harhigh. York would lead two runners stranded in scoring position with one out unable to cut further into the Cobber lead.
• After a scoreless fourth inning, York would tie the game with three tallies in the top of the fifth. Elle Meyer led off the frame with a single and Shyla Pastore would reach via a Cobber error. Harhigh would single to right field to bring in Meyer with Pastore advancing to third and Harhigh advancing to second on the throw. Joanna Marmo would come up with a clutch two-run two-out single to tie the game up at 4-4. Concordia would get one of those runs back to grab the lead again after a triple and a Spartan error and take a 5-4 lead with two innings to play.
• In the top of the seventh, Pastore and Harhigh led off the inning with back-to-back singles and then advanced to second and third via a passed ball. York would be unable to bring either runner in with three consecutive infield popups as they fell just short 5-4 to the Cobbers.
York is now 22-11 all-time in Clermont, Fla. … this was the first ever matchup with Houghton College while the Spartans are now 1-1 all-time against Concordia-Moorhead … York's pitching has held opponents to no more than five runs in any game this season and the Spartans are outscoring their opponents 65-24 in Florida … York is 0-3 in one-run games and have lost their four games by just a combined five runs … Alyssa Harhigh went 6-for-8 with 3 RBI on the day and now leads the teams with 16 hits and 16 RBI … she also leads the team with a .471 batting average … freshman Indira Purnell picked up her first two career hits on the day along with her first two RBI … York pitching had only allowed 15 earned runs in 10 games and has a 1.62 ERA as a staff … with another stolen base in game one on the day, freshman Elle Meyer now had a team-high six steals on the year … the Spartans as a team are 20-for-22 in stolen base attempts … York struck out a season high 10 times in the loss to Concordia and was also the first game without an extra base hit in four games.
The Spartans are back in action tomorrow morning for their final two games in Florida. York will take on Bates College at 9:00 am followed by a matchup with Roanoke College at 11:15 am.