CLERMONT, FLA. – The York College softball team had their bats come alive as they put up eight runs in each game on their way to a day two sweep over Rosemont College and Adrian College on Sunday in Florida.
York (Pa.): 2-2
Game One Stats
Runs: York 8 / Rosemont 5
Hits: York 13 / Rosemont 6
Errors: York 4 / Rosemont 0
Left on Base: York 7 / Rosemont 6
York Offensive Leaders
Alyssa Harhigh: 3-for-4, 2 RBI, 3 runs scored, 2B, HR, SB
Taylor Lindsay: 3-for-4, 3 RBI, 2 runs scored, 2B, SB
Shyla Pastore: 3-for-4, RBI, 2 runs scored, 2 2B
Mia Ruffalo: 2-for-3, RBI, 2B, SB
Rosemont Offensive Leaders
Madison Hagerty: 1-for-2, 2 runs scored, BB
Erin Gallagher: 1-for-2, RBI, 1 run scored
Emily Bingman: 1-for-4, RBI, 1 run scored
Shyla Pastore: 3.0 innings pitched, 4 runs, 4 earned runs, 2 BB
Taylor Lindsay: 4.0 innings pitched, 3 hits, 1 run, 0 earned runs, 1 BB, 5 K (W, 1-1)
Christina Broccolino: 6.0 innings pitched, 13 hits, 8 runs, 8 earned runs, 1 BB, 3 K (L, 1-1)
How It Happened
• The York bats came out hot as the first four batters in the lineup got hits to start the first inning off for the Spartans. Elle Meyer led off the inning with a bunt single and then stole second, Shyla Pastore brought her home on an RBI double to center and then scored on a Taylor Lindsay double after an Alyssa Harhigh single. The Spartans got their final run of the inning when Mia Ruffalo stroked a double to left center to bring in Lindsay as York jumped out to an early 4-0 lead.
• Rosemont would answer quickly scoring four runs in the top half of the second on three hits and a pair of walks. The Ravens scored their first when Emily Bingman drove in Kaileigh Whalenon an RBI single to right field. The Ravens would score their next three via a bases loaded walk, a fielder's choice, and an RBI ground out to bring the score even, 4-4.
• The Spartan offense stayed hot in the bottom of the second with some two-out magic as Pastore rocketed her second double of the game, this one to left field, and then came in to score on a two-run blast by Harhigh to center.
• York would add runs in the fifth and sixth innings to give them some insurance as the Spartans picked up their first win in 2019 by the score of 8-5.
Game Two Stats
Runs: York 8 / Adrian 0
Hits: York 8 / Adrian 6
Errors: York 1 / Adrian 3
Left on Base: York 5 / Adrian 6
York Offensive Leaders
Taylor Lindsay: 2-for-4, RBI, 1 run scored, HR
Alyssa Harhigh: 1-for-3, 4 RBI, 1 run scored, HR
Shyla Pastore: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 2B
Mia Ruffalo: 1-for-3, RBI, 1 run scored, 2B, BB
Adrian Offensive Leaders
Krista Lynch: 2-for-3, 2B
Jamie Bell: 2-for-3
Ginger Lewis: 7.0 innings pitched, 6 hits, 10 K (W, 1-1)
Natalie Mathers: 6.0 innings pitched, 8 hits, 8 runs, 7 earned runs, 3 BB, 7 K (L, 0-1)
Emily Baldus: 1.0 innings pitched, 1 BB
How It Happened
• The Spartans struck quickly again scoring a pair in the top half of the first. Elle Meyer walked to lead things off and eventually came around to score on a bunt by Alyssa Harhigh. Next batter, Taylor Lindsay stroked a homerun to center to give York a 2-0 advantage.
• Ginger Lewis kept the Bulldogs quiet allowing just one runner to reach scoring position in the first five innings of work and striking out eight in the span to keep York ahead, 2-0.
• The Green and White added three in the top of the sixth after being quieted for most of the game after their hot first inning. Joanna Marmo, Mia Ruffalo, and Madison Brumagin all knocked in runners in the innings as the Spartans picked up five hits in the frame and led 5-0 headed into the bottom of the sixth.
• The Spartans put the Bulldogs away as Harhigh knocked a three-run homer to center field that scored Meyer and Pastore while Lewis again shut down the Adrian hitters to complete the shutout as York cruised to the 8-0 win.
York is now 18-9 all-time in Clermont, Fla. … York is now 2-2 against Adrian and 1-0 against Rosemont after winning their first ever meeting with the Ravens … the Spartan offense came alive scoring 16 runs in the two games after just plating three in the doubleheader yesterday … York also went without an extra base hit yesterday but blasted ten in 59 at bats on seven doubles and three round-trippers … freshman Alyssa Harhigh picked up her first two collegiate homeruns after going deep in both contests including a three-run shot against Adrian … freshman Taylor Lindsay also hit her first career homer while also picking up her first career win in the circle for the Spartans … Lindsay is now hitting .583 with 4 RBI in her first four games … sophomore Shyla Pastore knocked three doubles on the day which leads the squad … Ginger Lewis struck out 10, giving York two double-digit pitching performances in the first four games on the year.
York is back in action tomorrow with another doubleheader. York will take on Regis College (Mass.) and Mitchell College tomorrow with game one at 11:15 am and game two starting at 1:45 pm.