CLERMONT, FLA. – The York College softball team's offense struggled as they dropped their first two games late to start their twelve-game trip in Clermont, Florida on Saturday.
York (Pa.): 0-2
Augustana (Ill.): 7-2
New England College: 1-0
Game One Stats
Runs: York 3 / Augustana 4
Hits: York 6 / Augustana 6
Errors: York 1 / Augustana 1
Left on Base: York 5 / Augustana 4
York Offensive Leaders
Elle Meyer: 2-for-4, 1 run scored
Julie Van O'Linda: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, SB
Shyla Pastore: 1-for-4, RBI, 1 run scored
Augustana Offensive Leaders
Dina Falk: 2-for-3, 3B, RBI, 2 SB
Alyssa Klahn, 2-for-2, RBI, 1 run scored, BB
Ashley Dehmlow: 1-for-3, RBI, 1 run scored, 2B
Ginger Lewis: 6.0 innings pitched, 6 hits, 4 runs, 1 earned run, 2 BB, 5 K (L, 0-1)
Ashley Dehmlow: 3.0 innings pitched, 4 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned runs, 1 BB, 4 K
Hope Moos: 4.0 innings pitched, 2 hits, 1 BB, 2 K (W, 1-0)
How It Happened
• Both teams were held scoreless through the first two frames before the Spartans struck for a piar in the top half of the third inning. Julie Van O'Linda singled into center and then stole second to put herself in scoring position. Elle Meyer picked up one of her two hits on the day as she singled and Van O'Linda came around to score on the play off an error from the Viking third baseman. Shyla Pastore would then knock home Meyer on the following at-bat to put York up 2-0.
• The Spartans added another run the next inning when Indira Purnell scored on a Hannah Vogt fielder's choice to extend York's lead to three. The Spartans would strand two runners on the bases but lead 3-0 headed into the bottom of the fourth.
• The Vikings would get one back in the bottom of the fifth when Alyssa Klahn singled to lead off the inning before Dina Falk rocketed a two-out triple to center field. Klahn would score but Falk would be gunned down at home by Madison Brumagin to preserve the Spartan 3-1 lead after five.
• The sixth inning was all Augustana as the scored a trio of runs, two coming with two outs in the inning and all three being unearned. Molly Wrenn reached via an error to bring in the first of the three runs. Ashley Dehmlow and Klahn then notched back-to-back hits to bring in the final two runs of the innings and York trailed for the first time of the game, 4-3 headed into the final stanza. York was able to get the tying run into scoring position but came up just short in the seventh, dropping their season opener.
Game Two Stats
Runs: York 0 / New England College 2
Hits: York 3 / New England College 6
Errors: York 1 / New England College 0
Left on Base: York 5 / New England College 5
York Offensive Leaders
Elle Meyer: 2-for-3, SB
Taylor Lindsay: 1-for-3
New England College Offensive Leaders
Shawnie Clark: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, 2B
Taylor Dill: 1-for-1, RBI, 2B
Rachel Senechal: 1-for-4, 1 run scored
Taylor Lindsay: 7.0 innings pitched, 6 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned run, 2 BB, 11 K (L, 0-1)
New England College Pitching
Taylor Barbour: 7.0 innings pitched, 3 hits, 3 BB, 4 K (W, 1-0)
How It Happened
• Both pitchers were in complete control throughout the first five innings as both only allowed two hits each with both pitchers shutting out the other offense.Taylor Lindsay struck out eight Pilgrim batters in the first five frames in her collegiate debut for the Green and White. She also had one of the two hits for the Spartans up to that point. Pilgrim pitcher, Taylor Barbour, was matching Lindsay all day as she too was in complete command in the circle.
• The scoreless game was finally broken in the top of the sixth inning. Rachel Senechal and Jasmin Alverado came through with back-to-back singles for the first real scoring threat of the game. After a walk, Senechal would score on a Spartan error to push across the first run of the game. That proved to be enough but the Pligrims would add some insurance in the top half of the seventh when Taylor Dill stroked a pinch-hit RBI double to right center field and York was held scoreless, falling 2-0 in their second game of the day.
York is now 16-9 all-time in Clermont, Fla. … the Spartans are now 2-5 in season openers under head coach Jen Petteys … they are 4-3 in game two's under Petteys … freshman Elle Meyer had a strong Spartan debut going 4-for-7 with a run scored in her first two games of collegiate action … fellow freshman Taylor Lindsay picked up a pair of hits in her collegiate debut while also pitching a complete game with 11 strikeouts … the Spartan offense struggled in their opening two contests going just 9-for-50 with 10 strikeouts on the day.
York is back in action tomorrow with another doubleheader. They will begin their day against Rosemont College at 9:00 am and will follow that up with a contest against Adrian College at 11:15 am.