LOGAN TOWNSHIP, N.J. – The York College men's cross country squad had a strong showing at the loaded Rowan Inter-Regional Border Battle hosted by Rowan University at Dream Park in Logan Township, New Jersey.
The Spartans finished 14th of 42 teams at the event as York accumulated 475 points. Johns Hopkins won the event with 80 points while SUNY Geneseo was second with 95 points. York was the top finishing Capital Athletic Conference school at the event.
Top Spartan Finishers
• Senior Ray Smith led the Spartans with a personal best time as he placed 24th with a time of 25:35.3. Smith was just over three seconds out of a top 20 finish in the 394-runner field.
• Senior Matt Zubrycki was York's second finisher as he placed 70th overall with a time of 26:07.5. That time for the Spartan senior was a personal best for him.
• Sophomore Jake O'Neill was the Spartans' third finisher in the race as he placed 104th with a time of 26:30.6. He was followed by senior Ben Linne as Linne crossed the line in a time of 26:39.4, good for a finish of 122nd.
• Freshman Benjamin Russell had a breakout day as he posted a time of 26:53.9, a big-time personal best for the first-year Spartan. Russell finished 152nd with that time. He finished strong for York with a strong finishing kick enabling him to record the new PR.
• Freshman Justin Smyth and sophomore Drew Alansky closed out York's top seven as they placed 185th and 191st respectively. Smyth had a time of 27:11.4 while Alansky crossed the line in a time of 27:17.8.
He Said It
"The men had a difficult race today and despite not getting the team success we were hoping for, we got some really good races," said Spartan head coach Stephen LoBianco. "Ray Smith had a new PR to lead us. Ben Russell had a huge breakout day for us as he worked his way up throughout the race and really unleashed an impressive final kick en route to the PR."
This is the final tune up race before the Spartans head to Buena Vista, Virginia in two weeks to participate in the 2018 Capital Athletic Conference Championship meet on Saturday, October 27 … the day featured a pair of races as there was a championship flight and an open race … in the open race, the Spartans finished eighth of 19 teams with 249 points … freshman Josh Goodrich registered a PR of 29:01.1 in the open race … senior Jordan Blankenship led York in the open race with a time of 24:43.3, good for a 37th place finish.
The Spartans return to action on Saturday, October 27 when they travel to Southern Virginia University to participate in the 2018 Capital Athletic Conference championships in Buena Vista, Virginia. The action is slated for an 11:00 am start.