YORK, PA – The York College men's soccer team picked up their second straight Capital Athletic Conference win on Wednesday night as they bested Salisbury 1-0 in York. The Spartans got a goal midway through the second half and then freshman goalie Josh Kappes maintained the shutout and the win for the Green and White.
Final Score: York 1, Salisbury 0
Records: York 6-4-2 (2-2 CAC), SAL 6-5-1 (1-3)
Shots: York 8, SAL 10
Shots on Goal: York 3, SAL 5
Corner Kicks: York 5, SAL 8
Saves: York 5, SAL 2
Fouls: York 9, SAL 17
How It Happened:
• The first half saw the Sea Gulls have the edge in stats but the Spartans had the advantage in terms of dangerous opportunities. Junior defender Kenny Crist hit a shot that just skimmed over the cross bar in the 26th minute. Senior Barak Amige hit the cross bar in the 31st minute.
• Salisbury held a 5-3 edge in shots while Spartan freshman keeper Josh Kappes made two saves to keep the game scoreless at the intermission.
• York had the first great chance of the second half as junior forward Zion Friday had a one-on-one chance with Salisbury goalie Ashton Carey. Friday hit the shot just wide as the Sea Gulls avoided surrendering the goal.
• The Green and White finally broke through on a pretty goal in the 63rd minute. Danny Morgan played the ball into the center of the box. McClain Smith took a touch and then finished off the chance for the goal. The tally was the first of the year for Smith while the assist was Morgan's first.
• Kappes would make three more saves over the final 25 minutes of play to preserve the shutout and give the Spartans an important conference win.
McClain Smith: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Danny Morgan: 1 assist
Travis Gould: 1 shot on goal
Sea Gull Leaders
Alex Eiben: 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Luke Ahalt: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Cullen Myers: 1 shot on goal
Josh Kappes (YCP): 90:00 minutes played, 0 goals against, 5 saves (Win, 1-0)
Ashton Carey (SAL): 90:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 2 saves (Loss, 0-1)
The Spartans are now 15-26-6 all-time against the Sea Gulls as York has won two straight in the series … the Sea Gulls won't have to wait long to see the Spartans again as York travels to Salisbury next Wednesday … the two teams will have played two games in eight days thanks to the new CAC round-robin schedule … freshman Josh Kappes made his first collegiate start a memorable one as he picked up his first collegiate win and his first collegiate shutout … Kappes previous experience for the Spartans came last Saturday as he played 34:52 in the Spartan win over Southern Virginia on Saturday … York is now 3-1-1 at home … junior McClain Smith recorded his first goal in the Green and White … the Spartans had a season-low eight shots in the game, marking the first time this year they have been held below double figures in shots in a game … the shutout is the fifth of the year for the Spartan defense … York has allowed just four goals in five home games this year … York is now 3-3 in games decided by one goal.
The Spartans close out their three-match home stand with a key CAC contest against the University of Mary Washington on Saturday afternoon. Kick off at Graham Field is set for 3:30 pm.