YORK, PA – The York College men's soccer team snapped their two-game losing skid with an impressive 7-0 win over Southern Virginia in Capital Athletic Conference action on Saturday afternoon in York. Junior forward Zion Friday netted a natural hat trick in the first half to get the Spartans started as York improves to 5-4-2 overall.
Final Score: York 7, Southern Virginia 0
Records: York 5-4-2 (1-2 CAC), SVU 2-10 (0-3 CAC)
Shots: York 42, SVU 5
Shots on Goal: York 19, SVU 2
Corner Kicks: York 11, SVU 0
Saves: York 2, SVU 12
Fouls: York 10, SVU 3
How It Happened
• The Spartans took the play to the Knights early and often in the match. The Spartans fired off the first five shots of the game before Southern Virginia mounted their first thrust into Spartan territory. After Anthony Bowden forced Spartan goalie Trevor Hogan to make a save, the Spartans continued to pressure the Southern Virginia defense.
• The Spartan pressure finally paid off in the 28th minute as Zion Friday found the back of the net. Travis Gould lofted a pass from near midfield that found Friday in the box and the junior finished off the chance for the 1-0 Spartan lead.
• Friday made it 2-0 just over five minutes later as he drove the left end line and slipped a shot between the post and Southern Virginia goalie Jacob Solis for the 2-0 lead. Friday capped his natural hat trick in the 41st minute. Keith Witherell sent a pass into the box from the wing and Friday settled the pass and one-timed a shot past Solis for the 3-0 York lead. That would be all for the day on Friday as he came out of the game and did not play the rest of the afternoon.
• Senior Joey Faddoul started the second half scoring on a beautiful give and go with Gould. Faddoul hit a pass to Gould who gave it right back to a streaking Faddoul who finished the chance for his first goal of the year in the 62nd minute. Freshman Max Chamorro added to the lead just under three minutes later as Faddoul hit a pass from the right wing that Chamorro was able to finish for his second goal of the year to make it 5-0 York.
• Sam Johnson added to the lead in the 73rd minute on a tremendous individual effort. Johnson collected the ball at the top of the box, put the two Knight defenders on spin cycle and beat Solis with a well struck shot for his first goal of the season.
• Ali Demiri closed out the scoring in the 83rd minute as Johnson hit a pass into the box that Demiri collected and drilled a shot home for his first goal of the year to provide for the Spartans' final seven-goal margin of victory.
Zion Friday: 3 goals, 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
Sam Johnson: 1 goal, 1 assist, 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
Joey Faddoul: 1 goal, 1 assist, 10 shots, 4 shots on goal
Ali Demiri: 1 goal, 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
Max Chamorro: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Travis Gould: 2 assists, 4 shots, 1 shot on goal
Keith Witherell: 1 assist, 3 shots
Anthony Bowden: 1 shot on goal
Zander Budd: 1 shot on goal
Gabriel Ramirez: 1 shot
Zach Martin: 1 shot
Matthew Jones: 1 shot
Trevor Hogan (YCP): 45:00 minutes of play, 0 goals against, 1 save (Win, 1-1)
Josh Kappes (YCP): 34:52 minutes of play, 0 goals against, 1 save
Brady Bixler (YCP): 10:08 minutes of play, 0 goals against, 0 saves
Jacob Solis (SVU): 72:17 minutes of play, 6 goals against, 9 saves (Loss, 2-10)
James Hampton (SVU): 17:43 minutes of play, 1 goal against, 3 saves
The Spartans are now 7-0 all-time against Southern Virginia … the Spartans have outscored the Knights 21-0 over their last four meetings … the Spartans' seven goals are the most for the Green and White since October 21, 2017 when the Spartans beat SVU 8-0 on Senior Day … the three goals for Zion Friday marks a new career high and ties the school record held by Joel Teston who accomplished the feat twice (vs. Southern Virginia on October 24, 2015 and October 21, 2017, also against Southern Virginia) … the six points ties Friday for second on the all-time single game scoring list … Friday now has a team-leading 17 points on eight goals and one assist … Friday now has 19 career goals in 39 games as a Spartan … Senior Joey Faddoul had a career-high three points with his goal and his one assist … sophomore Travis Gould had a career-high two assists … the two assists for Gould were the first for his Spartan career as he is now the second Spartan in double figures with 10 points … sophomore Trevor Hogan picked up his first career win as he had a clean sheet in the first half … senior Sam Johnson registered a career-high three points with his goal and assist … senior Keith Witherell recorded his team-high fourth assist of the year … freshmen goalies Josh Kappes and Brady Bixler made their collegiate debuts in the win.
The Spartans return to the friendly confines of Graham Field as they will host Salisbury University in a Capital Athletic Conference contest. Kick off at Graham Field is set for 7:00 pm.