SELINSGROVE, PA – The York College men's soccer team exploded for three second half goals to down Susquehanna University 3-1 in a non-conference tilt on Sunday in Selinsgrove, PA.
Score: York 3 – Susquehanna 1
Records: York 1-1, Susquehanna 0-2
Shots: York 11, Susquehanna 5
Shots on Goal: York 7, Susquehanna 1
Corner Kicks: York 4, Susquehanna 4
Saves: York 0, Susquehanna 4
How It Happened
• The Spartans got off to a good start offensively as they fired off four of the first five shots of the game. However, it was the River Hawks who struck first as York was whistled for an infraction in the box in the 30th minute. Alex Graul stepped up and converted the penalty kick to put home the try to give Susquehanna the 1-0 lead.
• York finished the first half with a 6-3 margin in shots and a 3-1 edge in shots on goal but the Spartans were still looking for their first goal of the season.
• The Spartans came out of the break and pressured the River Hawk defense. The thrust would pay off in the 58th minute as Dan Bechtel hit a brilliant cross to Isiah Dorsey in the box. Dorsey finished off the chance to break the offensive drought to start the campaign.
• York struck for a second time just over six minutes later as Keith Witherell played a nice cross into the box from the left flank. Sophomore Zion Friday collected the pass and banged home the shot for his first goal of the year.
• The Spartans scored their three goals on just five second half shots. While the offense was outstanding, York limited Susquehanna to just a pair of second half shots, neither of which were on target.
Isiah Dorsey: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Zion Friday: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Sam Johnson: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Keith Witherell: 1 assist, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Dan Bechtel: 1 assist, 1 shot
Jordan Evans: 1 assist
River Hawks Leaders
Alex Graul: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Chris Naiman: 1 shot
Gavin Keller: 1 shot
Brian McKee: 1 shot
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 90 minutes played, 1 goal against, 0 saves (Win, 1-1)
Matt Ellingworth (SU): 90 minutes played, 3 goals against, 4 saves (Loss, 0-2)
York is now 24-9-4 in the series against the River Hawks … York has won the last two matches against Susquehanna … the match was the first in the series since September 12, 2015 as York won 2-1 in Selinsgrove … junior transfer Isiah Dorsey notched his first career Spartan goal with his opening tally … junior Sam Johnson recorded his second career goal and first since his freshman year … Johnson's first career goal came in the October 1, 2016 win over Marymount … York has allowed two goals for the season and both of those goals have come on penalty kicks … the game was the first of seven September road games … York plays just two games, back-to-back contests against Washington & Lee and Johns Hopkins (September 9 & 12), at home for the entire month.
York heads to Stevenson University on Wednesday afternoon to face the Mustangs in a non-conference contest. Kick off is slated for 4:00 pm in Owings Mills, Maryland.