YORK, PA – The third-ranked York College men's lacrosse team shook off a shaky first half and outscored Frostburg State 10-3 in the second half to earn a 13-8 Capital Athletic Conference win on Wednesday night in York. The Spartans have now won six straight and three straight to start the conference campaign. Senior Thomas Pfeiffer tied a Spartan school record with seven goals in the victory.
Records: #5 York (Pa.) 12-1 (3-0 CAC), Frostburg State 7-5 (0-2 CAC)
Final Score: York 13, FSU 8
Shots: York 44, FSU 39
Shots on Goal: York 25, FSU 15
Ground Balls: York 42, FSU 20
Face Off Wins: York 16, FSU 8
Clears: York 18-for-24, FSU 17-for-17
Saves: York 7, FSU 12
Turnovers: York 17, FSU 20
Penalties: York 5-for-4:00, FSU 2-for-2:00
Extra Man: York 1-for-2, FSU 2-for-5
How It Happened
• The first period featured strong defense and sloppy offense as the teams combined for 10 turnovers in the opening 15 minutes. The Spartans finally opened the scoring on a Brendan McGrath goal at the 6:06 mark. The Bobcats answered just 38 seconds later. The Bobcats won the face off and went down and scored as Jimmy Lucas found the back of the net. The remainder of the quarter was scoreless
• The Bobcats got going in the second quarter as they outscored the Spartans 4-2. The Bobcats got a man-up goal from Michael Sipes at the 10:15 mark to take a 2-1 lead. Thomas Pfeiffer tied the game just over seven minutes later with his first goal of the game. The Bobcats got goals from Paul Ruppert and Matthew Ward to take a 4-2 lead. Pfeiffer scored his second goal of the period as York trailed 4-3 with 2:14 left in the quarter. Lucas pushed the lead to 5-3 with a goal just 1:19 before the half.
• The Spartans had 10 first half turnovers as they trailed at the half for just the third time all year.
• Pfeiffer got the Spartan offense going early in the second with a pair of goals in the opening five mintues of the quarter. Jake Howarth and Ward answered with goals to give the Bobcats a 7-5 lead with 8:22 left in the third. That's when the Spartan offense roared to life. York ripped off five straight goals covering the final 6:54 of the third quarter to completely turn the game around. Hunter Davis started the run with a goal off a pass from McGrath. Pfeiffer tied the game a minute and a half later with his fifth goal of the night. McGrath then put York on top with back-to-back goals to give York a 9-7 lead. Brad Casale closed out the quarter with a goal with 30 seconds left in the quarter as York took an 10-7 lead to the fourth.
• Casale scored his second consecutive goal to start the fourth and Pfeiffer followed with a man-up goal with 12:31 left in the game. The Bobcats scored their lone goal of the quarter with 6:26 left in the game. Pfeiffer then scored his final goal of the evening to close out the scoring and give York their sixth straight win.
Thomas Pfeiffer: 7 goals, 1 assist, 2 ground balls
Brendan McGrath: 3 goals, 1 assist, 2 ground balls
Brad Casale: 2 goals, 1 assist, 2 ground balls
J.D. Beck: 3 caused turnovers, 4 ground balls
Billy Sasso: 15-for-23 at the X, 10 ground balls
Nick Roman: 4 caused turnovers, 3 ground balls
Matthew Ward: 2 goals
Jimmy Lucas: 2 goals, 1 assist
Paul Ruppert: 1 goal, 2 assists, 1 caused turnover
Jason Clinton: 1 goal, 2 assists, 3 ground balls, 1 caused turnover
Jack Michael (YCP): 59:01 minutes played, 7 goals allowed, 7 saves (Win, 12-1)
Jordan Hickman (YCP): 0:09 minutes played, 1 goal against, 0 saves
Jack Marks (FSU): 60:00 minutes played, 13 goals against, 12 saves (Loss, 7-5)
The Spartans improve to 9-1 in the all-times series as the Spartans have won five straight … the meeting was the programs last regular season meeting as conference opponents as the Bobcats are leaving the CAC and Division III to make the transition to Division II … senior Thomas Pfeiffer tied the Spartans' single-game record of seven goals … Pfeiffer now shares the record with teammate Brendan McGrath (twice), Tyler Hutson (twice), and Adam Cross … Pfeiffer is now all alone in third as he has 148 career goals … Pfeiffer is two goals away from tying Andrew Gamble for second place on the all-time goal scoring list … fellow senior Hunter Davis is fourth on the list with 142 goals … the Spartans have reached double figures in all six games of their current win streak … York has outscored their last six opponents by a combined score of 81-36 … York is averaging 15 goals per game in conference play … York notched at least one man-up goal for the fourth game in a row … York has scooped up at least 40 ground balls in their last four games … York had less than a 50% save percentage for the second straight game and those are the only two times that has happened this year.
The Spartans haed out on the road their next time out when they travel to take on the Southern Virginia University Knights on Saturday. First face-off scheduled for 12:00 pm in Buena Vista, Virginia.