YORK, PA – The sixth ranked York College men's lacrosse team posted a thrilling come-from-behind 12-11 win over #16 Lynchburg in an instant classic on a chilly Saturday afternoon in York. The Spartans got the game winner from Brad Casale as he found the back of the net with 2:54 left in regulation. The Spartan defense did the rest as York remains unbeaten for the year.
Records: #6 York (Pa.) 4-0, #16 Lynchburg 1-3
Final Score: York 12, LC 11
Shots: York 34, LC 39
Shots on Goal: York 20, LC 23
Ground Balls: York 41, LC 29
Face Off Wins: York 16, LC 9
Clears: York 16-for-21, LC 16-for-19
Saves: York 12, LC 8
Turnovers: York 19, LC 16
Penalties: York 5-for-4:00, LC 2-for-2:00
Extra Man: York 1-for-2, LC 2-for-4
How It Happened
• The Hornets jumped all over the Spartans early as Lynchburg scored three of the game's first four goals with Kevin Rogers netting two of those three goals. The Spartans got two back in a two-minute span as Billy Sasso got his first goal of the year off a face off win and shot at the 3:04 mark, four seconds after Rogers' second goal. Thomas Pfeiffer then tied the game at three on a goal with 1:16 left in the quarter. Evan Lombardo gave the Hornets the lead with eight seconds left in the quarter. The Spartans would also get called for a penalty on the play as that carried into the second quarter.
• Lombardo started the second quarter with a man up goal on the penalty to put the Hornets up 5-3. Colin Dean made it 6-3 just 35 seconds later as Lynchburg looked poised to break the game wide open. Hunter Davis halted the Lynchburg momentum with a goal at the 11:39 mark as York still trailed by two. Andrew Thomas and Lombardo pushed the lead to 8-4 with goals as the Spartans faced their biggest deficit of the year. Brad Casale and Gunnar Reynolds scored goals inside the final six minutes of the quarter as York trailed 8-6 at the break.
• Lombardo opened the third quarter scoring with a goal at the 11:30 mark but the Spartans responded with goals from Brendan McGrath and Eric Ranck as Lynchburg held a slight 9-8 lead heading to the fourth quarter.
• The final quarter was highly entertaining with both teams just went after each other. The Spartans got a man up goal from Pfeiffer to tie the game at nine, 2:23 into the quarter. Pfeiffer struck again just six seconds later off a Davis pass to put York up for the first time in the game, 10-9.
• The Hornets responded with goals from Dean and a man-up goal from Kevin Rogers to take an 11-10 lead with 5:59 left in regulation. Sophomore Jake Hvazda picked a great time for his first goal of the year, tying the game at 11 with 3:48 left in the game. Casale then recorded the game-winner just under a minute later.
• York's Billy Sasso earned his 16th face off win of the day on the ensuing face off and York drew a penalty with 2:51 left. The Hornets killed off the penalty as York took a clock violation with 1:29 left in the game. The Spartan defense then got a blocked shot and a ground ball pick up from Nick Roman to kill off the final 30 seconds of the game to earn the big home win.
Hunter Davis: 2 goals, 2 assists, 1 ground ball
Thomas Pfeiffer: 3 goals, 2 ground balls
Eric Ranck: 1 goal, 3 assists, 1 ground ball
Brad Casale: 2 goals, 2 ground balls
Jake Hvazda: 1 goal, 1 assist
Billy Sasso: 16-for-25 at the X, 13 ground balls, 1 goal
Ryan Kennedy: 3 caused turnovers, 1 ground ball
Sean McQuade: 5 ground balls, 1 caused turnover
Evan Lombardo: 4 goals, 2 assists
Kevin Rogers: 3 goals, 2 assists, 2 ground balls
Andrew Thomas: 2 goals, 1 assist, 2 ground balls, 1 caused turnover
Colin Dean: 2 goals, 2 assists, 2 ground balls, 1 caused turnover
Bo Delaney: 8-for-17 at the X, 3 ground balls
Jack Michael (YCP): 60:00 minutes played, 11 goals against, 12 saves (Win, 4-0)
Patrick Cornelius (LC): 60:00 minutes played, 12 goals against, 8 saves (Loss, 1-3)
The Spartans are now 2-3 against Lynchburg as they have won the last two match-ups against the Hornets … the Spartans were held to a season-low 34 shots in the win … the Spartans notched their third man-up goal of the year as they are now 3-for-10 in man up situations for the year … the Spartans scooped up 41 ground balls in the win, their second highest total of the year … York tied a season-high with 12 caused turnovers … freshman goalie Jack Michael registered a career-high 12 saves in the win … freshman Eric Ranck registered a career-high with four points in the win including his first career goal … Ranck has notched nine assists in four games during his first year in the Green and White … senior Thomas Pfeiffer continues to close in on 200 career points as he now sits at 193 with 122 goals and 71 assists … sophomore Sean McQuade recorded a career-high with five ground balls in the win … senior Hunter Davis now sits fifth in school history in points with 173 as he has 124 career goals and 49 assists … Davis is two points away from tying Josh Gamble for fourth place on the all-time points list … his 124 goals ranks third all-time in school history while Pfeiffer is fourth with 122 … senior Billy Sasso now has 285 career ground balls which ranks him third on the all-time list … Sasso has now won 560 face offs in his career … Sasso notched his fifth career goal in the game.
The Spartans head out on the road for four games away from Kinsley Field starting on Wednesday afternoon at nationally ranked Gettysburg. The Spartans and Bullets will square off at 3:30 pm on Wednesday. York won't return home until Friday, March 22 against Cabrini.