FLOWERY BRANCH, GA – The York College men's golf squad concluded their stay in Georgia with a fourth place finish at the two-day Royal Lakes Fall Invitational hosted by Oglethorpe University on Tuesday afternoon.
The Spartans finished with a two-day total of 589 after shooting a team total of 291 on Tuesday afternoon. York finished tied with McDaniel College and Maryville (TN) at 589. They finished five strokes back of tournament co-champions Babson and Greensboro as they each shot 584. Greensboro shot two under as a team on Tuesday to capture a piece of the championship. Hampden-Sydney finished third at 587. The tournament featured 18 full teams.
Spartan senior Tyler Newton had another strong tournament as he finished second overall after shooting a two-under 70 on Tuesday.
Top Spartan Performers
• Senior Tyler Newton was York's top finisher with his second place finish. After a three-under-par 69 on Monday, Newton was nearly as good with his 70 on Tuesday. Newton finished three strokes back of individual champion Jacob Arnett from Oglethorpe. Newton got off to a quick start on Tuesday as he was two under through six holes. He finished one under on the front side after a bogey on nine. He opened the back nine with a bogey on ten before back-to-back birdies on 11 and 12 got him back to two-under. Newton had a bogey on 17 but finished strong with a birdie on 18 for his 70. The finished is Newton's 14th career top five tournament finish.
• Sophomore Luke Fayocavitz had a strong finish as he notched the top 10 finish as he tied for eighth overall. Fayocavitz matched his even-par 72 from Monday with another even-par 72 to finish with a two-day total of 144. Fayocavitz tied with McDaniel's Kevin Keane, Hampden-Sydney's John Furguson, Greensboro's Connor Brown, and Oglethorpe's Ron Johnson. Fayocavitz birdied two of his first three holes as he shot a 34 on the front. Faycavitz had bogeys on 12 and 14 as he shot 38 on the back for his 72. It is his fifth career top ten tournament finish.
• Freshman Casey Leebrick was York's next finisher as he placed tied for 53rd. Leebrick shot 75 on Tuesday after his Monday round of 77 for a tournament score of 152. Leebrick was even on the front but had a triple on 11 and a double on 13, cancelling out a pair of back side birdies as he shot a 39 on the back for his 75.
• Sophomore Joel Marshall was York's fourth tournament finisher as he placed tied for 78th with a score of 78 on Tuesday. Marshall finished with a two-day total of 158. On Tuesday, Marshall shot a 40 on the front and followed that with a 38 on the back.
• Freshman Dylan Wyatt was York's fifth tournament participate and had a much better day on Tuesday. After shooting 87 on Monday, Wyatt rebounded with a two-over-par 74. Wyatt tallied two birdies in his first three holes before bogeys on four and seven to finish with an even par 36 on the front. Wyatt had bogeys on 11 and 12 but finished with six straight pars to shoot 38. He finished tied for 87th in the field. However, his Tuesday 74 put in inside the top 30 in the field.
The top five showing at the tournament was a great early season showing for the Green and White in a very strong field … senior Tyler Newton has now played a school-record 65 rounds in varsity competition, passing former Spartan Ryan Wolbach for the school record of 64 … Newton's second place finish is his 14th top five finish and his 21st top ten tournament finish.
The Spartans head to the Bridges Golf Club this weekend when they head to the McDaniel Fall Invitational. The tournament kicks off Saturday and concludes on Sunday. The Spartans will go off shortly after 8:30 am on Saturday.