BALTIMORE, MD – The York College men's basketball team went cold in the second half and the undefeated Johns Hopkins took advantage as the Blue Jays slipped past the Spartans 67-57 on Saturday afternoon in Baltimore. The Blue Jays dialed it up from long distance as they nailed a season-high 15 three pointers and held the Spartans to just 38.9% shooting from the floor as they improved to a perfect 4-0.
York (Pa.): 3-2
Johns Hopkins: 4-0
Score: York 57, Johns Hopkins 67
FG: York 21-for-54 (38.9%), JHU 24-for-56 (42.9%)
3PT FG: York 12-for-38 (31.6%), JHU 15-for-34 (44.1%)
FT: York 3-for-10 (30%), JHU 4-for-5 (80%)
Rebounds: York 31, JHU 39
Assists: York 12, JHU 20
Turnovers: York 13, JHU 15
Blocked Shots: York 5, JHU 0
Steals: York 8, JHU 7
How It Happened:
• The first half was back and forth as the stanza featured eight lead changes. York jumped out to a very early 6-2 lead. The Blue Jays ripped off nine straight points to seize an 11-6 advantage. Hopkins held the lead until Logan Collins hit a three pointer with 8:24 left on the clock to put York up 17-16.
• The Blue Jays recaptured the lead 21-20, but the Spartans went on an 8-0 spurt to take a 28-21 advangage. Jared Wagner and Darin Gordon each hit three pointers during the run for York. The Blue Jays clamped down defensively on the Green and White the remainder of the half as JHU outscored York 9-1 over the final three minutes of the stanza, turning their seven-point deficit into a 30-29 halftime lead.
• The Blue Jays came out of the break and kept rolling with an Ethan Bartlett lay-up followed by a Joey Kern three to go up 35-29. The Spartans answered with an 11-0 run that covered just over two and a half minutes of play. York got three pointers from Colin Rimel, Wagner and Joe Polczynski to go along with a David Giuliani lay-up. The run gave York a 40-35 lead with with 15:15 left in the game. That's when the Spartans went ice cold from the floor while the Jays got hot.
• The Blue Jays outscored York 22-7 over the next eight minutes as Hopkins turned a five-point deficit into a 10-point lead with 7:03 left in the game. The Spartans cut the lead to seven on a Polczynski triple but that's as close as the Spartans would get the rest of the way as Hopkins made enough stops on defense and enough shots on offense to keep York at arm's length over the final six minutes of the game.
• The Blue Jays went 9-for-19 from three in the second half while York was just 4-for-19 from beyond the arc. Hopkins made two more field goals in the half with both teams converted a pair of free throws as they earned the big regional victory.
Joe Polczynski: 12 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 blocked shot
David Giuliani: 11 points, 8 rebounds, 2 steals
Jared Wagner: 9 points, 9 rebounds, 8 assists, 3 steals
Darin Gordon: 7 points, 4 rebounds, 3 blocked shots
Blue Jay Leaders:
Joey Kern: 20 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 5 steals, 6-for-9 3PT FG
Tom Quarry: 15 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists
Braeden Johnson: 13 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist
Conner Delaney: 10 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal
The Spartans had their two-game win streak snapped against the Blue Jays … York still leads the all-time series 6-2 … the Spartans dropped their second straight road game … the 57 points were a season low for York … York is averaging 58 points per game in their two losses while they are averaging 89 points per game in their three wins … in their two losses, York is shooting 38% from the floor, 29% (20-for-69) from three and 48.3% (14-for-29) from the free throw line … York is getting outrebounded by nine caroms per game in their setbacks … entering Saturday's game, the Spartans had allowed just 15 three point field goals in their previous four games as teams were shooting 27.3% (15-for-55) against them from behind the arc … Hopkins went 15-for-34 from three in the game … York had a season-low three made free throws on a season-low 10 attempts from the stripe … the Spartans had eight steals in the game, their second highest total of the year after Wednesday's 11 thefts against Lancaster Bible … York had a season-low 31 rebounds in the game … York played their fourth road game of the month as the Spartans play five of their first six games away from the friendly confines of Charles Wolf Gymnasium.
The Spartans stay out on the road as they head to Gwynedd Mercy on Tuesday to face the Griffins in a pre-Thanksgiving Day clash. Tip time in Gwynedd Valley, PA is set for 7:00 pm. The Griffins enter the contest with a record of 4-0 after downing Lebanon Valley 77-57 on Saturday.