YORK, PA – The York College men's basketball team made their 2019-20 home debut a successful one as the Spartans raced past Lancaster Bible 93-71 on Wednesday night in York. The Spartans placed five players in double figures while all 17 players got into the game for the Green and White.
York (Pa.): 3-1
Lancaster Bible: 1-3
Score: York 93, Lancaster Bible 71
FG: York 35-for-69 (50.7%), LBC 25-for-56 (44.6%)
3PT FG: York 14-for-36 (38.9%), LBC 6-for-14 (42.9%)
FT: York 9-for-12 (75%), LBC 15-for-20 (75%)
Rebounds: York 37, LBC 31
Assists: York 22, LBC 11
Turnovers: York 15, LBC 19
Blocked Shots: York 8, LBC 0
Steals: York 11, LBC 10
How It Happened:
• The Chargers struck for five points to open the game but the Green and White scored 11 of the next 13 points for an 11-7 lead before the first timeout. Senior Jared Wagner fueled the run with six points including a trio of steals and fast break buckets. The Spartans pushed the lead to nine on a Zach Novick triple with 14:51 left in the opening half.
• York increased the lead to 10 on a David Giuliani lay-up with 8:56 showing on the clock. The Chargers responded with an 8-0 run to cut the Spartan lead to two at 26-24. The Spartan lead stood at three (29-26) with 5:28 left. The Spartans ripped off an 8-0 run of their own, pushing the lead to 11. LBC's Tyler Hilton trimmed the York advantage to seven at 37-30 but York scored six of the next seven points to quickly push the lead to 13. The Spartans would take a 46-35 lead to the break.
• Lancaster Bible's Jordan Shewbridge kept his team in the game with 19 first half points as he was 7-for-11 from the floor, including 3-for-6 from three and 2-for-2 from the line. Shewbridge had seven of LBC's 11 field goals and three of their four three pointers. York was led by Wagner and Novick as they head 11 and 10 points respectively.
• York got off to a good start in the second half as they pushed the lead to 16 (58-42) over the first five minutes of the half. The Chargers cut the Spartan lead to 13 on a Britton Beachy three-point play with 12:20 left in the game. York answered with a Riley Dobraniecki three pointer from the corner. That started an 11-4 run for York as the lead grew to 20.
• The Chargers cut the Spartan lead to 12 with 6:13 showing on the clock but Tristan Kent and Travis Stoll hit back-to-back three pointers, pushing the lead back to 18. The Spartans increased the lead to as many as 22 including the final score. All three of York's wins have come by 20 points or more.
Zach Novick: 14 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist
David Giuliani: 12 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocked shots, 1 assist
Jared Wagner: 11 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 7 steals, 1 blocked shot
Travis Stoll: 11 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 blocked shot
Colin Rimel: 10 points, 1 rebound, 2 assists, 1 steal
Jordan Shewbridge: 23 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal
William Afoakwah: 18 points, 8 rebounds, 4 steals
Luke Beers: 6 points, 1 rebound
Tyler Hilton: 6 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists
The Spartans picked up the win against Lancaster Bible in the first meeting between the two programs … the Spartans placed a season-high five players in double figures led by Zach Novick who notched a season-high 14 points, one short of his career high … the Spartans hit a season-high 14 three-point field goals … York has hit double figures in threes in all three of their wins … York made a season-low nine free throws but shot their highest percentage at 75% (9-for-12) … York shot over 50% from the field for the third time this year … York had a season-high 22 assists on their 35 field goals … the Spartans recorded a season-high 11 steals with senior Jared Wagner picking up seven on the night … Wagner ranks second on the Spartans' all-time steals list with 221 as he is now 22 steals away from catching former Spartan great Jeff Landis for the school record … Wagner's seven steals set a new career high as that total is tied for third on the single game steals list … sophomore Riley Dobraniecki set new career-highs with eight points, three blocks, and three field goals made … junior David Giuliani tied his career-high with 12 points while he also tied his career-high with two blocks … senior Darin Gordon tied his career-high with five assists … sophomore Sean Kelly hit his first career three in the win … freshman Tristan Kent set a new career-high with six points while he also had a blocked shot … sophomore Travis Stoll established a new career-high with 11 points.
The Spartans head back out on the road Saturday afternoon as they head to Baltimore, Maryland to face the Johns Hopkins Blue Jays in a key regional contest. Tip time at Goldfarb Gymnasium is set for 4:00 pm.