SALEM, VA – The York College men's baksetball squad dropped their first game of the year as Roanoke rode a big halftime lead to a 74-59 win in the championship game of the Dick Leftwich Tip-Off Tournament on Saturday in Salem, Virginia. The Maroons took a 36-19 halftime lead and held off a hard charging Spartan squad in the second half by going 30-for-42 from the free throw line.
York (Pa.): 2-1
Score: York 59, Roanoke
FG: York 20-for-54 (37%), Roanoke 21-for-50 (42.0%)
3PT FG: York 8-for-31 (25.8%), Roanoke 2-for-8 (25%)
FT: York 11-for-19 (57.9%), Roanoke 30-for-42 (71.4%)
Rebounds: York 32, Roanoke 42
Assists: York 9, Roanoke 7
Turnovers: York 20, Roanoke 16
Blocked Shots: York 4, Roanoke 4
Steals: York 7, Roanoke 10
How It Happened:
• The game was tied early as it was 8-all after seven minutes of play. The Maroons then went on an 8-1 run to push out to a 16-9 lead. Kasey Draper powered the run with six of the eight points. Joe Polczynski hit a three to cut the Spartan deficit to four but the Maroons scored eight of the next ten points to take a 24-14 lead with 6:13 left in the half.
• The Maroons kept adding to their lead prior to the break including a 12-3 run over the final five minutes of the half as they took a 36-19 edge to the locker room. York struggled from the floor as they shot 30.4% in the opening 20 minutes. Conversely, Roanoke shot 48.3% from the floor while they also went 6-for-9 from the free throw line. York made just two trips to the stripe in the opening half.
• The Maroons hit the first bucket of the second half to push their lead to 19. The Spartans got on track with a 13-0 run to cut their deficit to six. David Giuliani keyed the run with a pair of buckets while Darin Gordon and Colin Rimel each hit a three.
• Roanoke pushed their lead back to ten at 45-35 on a Draper three-point play with 14:47 left in the game. The Spartans went on a 16-7 run to pull to within one point on a pair of Sean Kelly free throws. The Maroons responded with an 8-3 run as they scored all eight points at the free throw line to take a 60-54 lead with 7:23 left.
• After an Ethan Rohan bucket put the Maroons up 62-54, Roanoke would make a living at the free throw line. The Maroons went to the line six straight times to push their lead to 12 as York went cold from the field. Roanoke went to the line six more times over the final four minutes of the game as they salted away the game at the line. York was held to three points over the final five minutes of the game as they dropped their first game of the season.
Jared Wagner: 20 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 blocked shot, 2 steals
Colin Rimel: 9 points, 3-for-4 3PT FG, 1 assist
David Giuliani: 8 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist
Efosa Edosomwan: 19 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 5 steals, 1 blocked shot
Kasey Draper: 15 points, 7-for-7 FT, 2 steals
Caleb Jordan: 14 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists
Ethan Rohan: 5 points, 14 rebounds, 3 blocked shots
The Spartans are now 0-3 all-time against Roanoke as all three games have been played in Salem … the Spartans were held to a season-low 59 points as their 37% shooting from the floor was also a season low … York made a season-low eight three pointers as they shot just 25.8% from three … the Spartans were called for 33 fouls and had three players foul out while Roanoke was whistled for 22 infractions and did not suffer a foul out … York was outrebounded for the first time this year as Roanoke held a 10 rebound advantage in their win … York had a season-low nine assists … York tied season highs with seven steals and four blocked shots.
The Spartans will make their 2019-20 home debut on Wednesday evening as they host Lancaster Bible College. Tip time at Charles Wolf Gymnasium is set for 7:00 pm.