YORK, PA – The York College men's basketball team celebrated playing their first home game in a month with a 90-60 Capital Athletic Conference win over Southern Virginia on Saturday afternoon in Wolf Gym. The Spartans, who haven't played a home game in a month, got off to a fast start and never really looked back en-route to their first conference win of the season.
Final Score: York 90, Southern Virginia
Records: York 8-5 (1-1 CAC), Southern Virginia 4-9 (0-2 CAC)
Field Goals: York 34-for-60, SVU 23-for-61
Field Goal %: York 56.7%, SVU 37.7%
Three Point FG: York 12-for-28, SVU 3-for-22
Three Point FG %: York 42.9%, SVU 13.6%
Free Throws: York 10-for-15, SVU 11-for-14
Free Throw %: York 66.7%, SVU 78.6%
Rebounds: York 36, SVU 32
Assists: York 20, SVU 7
Turnovers: York 14, SVU 13
Blocked Shots: York 0, SVU 1
Steals: York 6, SVU 8
How It Happened
• The Spartans raced out to an early 10-4 lead just over four minutes into the game. The Knights crept to within four but the Spartans blitzed SVU with a 10-0 run including the first career points for freshman Sean Kelly as he converted a three-point play for the Green and White. Southern Virginia answered with a nine-point spurt of their own, cutting York's lead to three at 18-15 with 9:00 left in the first half.
• That proved to be as close as the game would be the rest of the way. York used the final nine minutes of the first half to outscore the Knights 30-10. That gave the Spartans a 48-25 lead at the break.
• The Spartans shot a blistering 57.6% in the first half as they went 19-for-33 from the floor including five three pointers. Conversely, the Spartans held the Knights to 36.7% shooting from the field and just 1-for-12 from three in the opening 20 minutes of play.
• The second half proved to be much of the same as York began the second half with a 29-12 run that covered the opening eight minutes of the second half. That run ballooned the Spartan lead to 40 at 77-37. The run to end the first half and the one to start the second half saw York outscore SVU 59-22.
• The York lead grew to a game-high 42 points before the Spartans settled for the 30-point margin of victory.
• The Spartans got valuable playing time for their young bench as every player saw at least four minutes of action and 11 guys played double figures in minutes. York also had a season-high 13 players reach the scoring column in the win.
Jared Wagner: 19 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, 7-for-9 FG, 4-for-4 FT
Jason Bady: 1 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 7-for-7 FG
Darin Gordon: 13 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal
Zach Novick: 11 points, 1 rebound, 17 minutes
Alec Johnson: 15 points, 2 rebounds, 6-for-9 FG, 2-for-2 FT
Jamier Cross: 10 points, 5 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 assist
Michael Neufville: 4 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals
The Spartans are now 8-3 all-time against the Knights as York has won six in a row against SVU … York is 6-0 all-time against the Knights at Charles Wolf Gymnasium … The Spartans are 5-1 at Wolf Gymnasium this year … the game was the first home game for the Spartans since December 5 … the Spartans' 90 points were a season-high … York has now cracked the 80-point barrier in five games and they are 5-0 in those contests … the 60 points by SVU is just one point over the season's best defensive performance as Dickinson only got to 59 in the season opener against the Green and White … York won the battle of the glass for just the fourth time this year … York had more assists than turnovers (20-14) for the fourth time this year … York did not record a blocked shot in the game, a first this season … the Spartans converted 12 three pointers and that's the eighth time this year they have reached double figures in three pointers made … York limited SVU to just three three-point field goals and 13.6% from distance … York is holding opponents to just 30% shooting from distance for the year as opponents are making just 6.2 three-pointers per game … senior Jason Bady had a big day in just 21 minutes of play as he was a career-best 7-for-7 from the floor … Bady scored 17 points for the second straight game … Bady has reached double figures in five straight games and in 11 of his 13 games for the year … junior Jared Wagner led York in scoring for the second straight game and third time in the last four games … Wagner shot a season-best 77.8% (7-for-9) from the floor while he also went 4-for-4 from the line … Wagner has reached double figures in all but one game for the year and has gotten at least 18 points in each of his last four games … freshman Sean Kelly found the scoring column in his third collegiate game after missing the first 10 games of the year due to injury … sophomore transfer David Giuliani made his Spartan debut after joining the program after Christmas.
The Spartans head back out on the road for a Wednesday Capital Athletic Conference contest against Penn State Harrisburg. Tip time in Middletown, PA is set for 8:00 pm as a part of a CAC doubleheader.