DOYLESTOWN, PA – The York College men's basketball team needed a big second half to earn an 88-71 road win at Delaware Valley on Saturday afternoon in a non-conference contest. The Spartans trailed 51-40 at the half but blitzed the Aggies in the second half to the tune of 48-20. The Spartans have now won three straight, tying their longest win streak of the year.
Final Score: York 88-Delaware Valley 71
Records: York 6-2, DVC 3-3
Field Goals: York 31-for-59, DVC 23-for-56
Field Goal %: York 52.5%, DVC 41.1%
Three Point FG: York 10-for-20, DVC 7-for-14
Three Point FG %: York 50%, DVC 50%
Free Throws: York 16-for-18, DVC 18-for-24
Free Throw %: York 88.9%, DVC 75%
Rebounds: York 39, DVC 25
Assists: York 16, DVC 7
Turnovers: York 16, DVC 15
Blocked Shots: York 7, DVC 0
Steals: York 6, DVC 7
How It Happened
• The Spartans got off to a scorching start as they began the game on a 17-3 run. Joey Polczynski and Jared Wagner opened the game with back-to-back three pointers to put York up 6-0. Mike Cianciulli hit a three pointer of his own and York then ripped off 11 straight points for the 14-point lead.
• The Aggies climbed back into the game and eventually took the lead courtesy of a sustained 30-13 run as they took a 31-30 lead with 5:03 left in the half. The Aggies weren't done. York got to within two at 40-38 on a Zach Novick triple from the top of the key. The Aggies finished the half on an 11-2 run that put the Spartans in a 51-40 hole at the half.
• The story of the first half was Aggie guard Cianciulli as he poured in 21 first-half points. Cianciulli was 7-for-11 from the floor, 2-for-4 from three and 5-for-6 from the line in his 20 minutes of play in the first half. The Aggies shot 50% from the floor in the first half including a blistering 6-for-8 from three and 17-for-21 from the stripe as they carried the double-digit lead to the break.
• Things really didn't look that much better for the Spartans in the opening moments of the second half as the Aggies pushed the lead to 15 (56-41) in the opening 1:27 of the stanza. The Spartans steadied themselves as Delaware Valley kept the lead between eight and 12 points over the next six minutes of the game.
• The Aggies led 64-52 with 12:30 left as Cianciulli hit a lay-up to give the hosts the 12 point lead. The Spartans got a Darin Gordon lay up on the ensuing possession and that appeared to open the floodgates up for the Green and White. Gordon's lay-up kick started a huge 28-5 run that turned the 12-point deficit into an 80-69 lead with 1:56 left in the game. Overall, the Spartans outscored their hosts 36-7 over the final 12:14 of the game. The Spartans held the Aggies to just 20 seconds half points. Cianciulli tallied six after his huge 21-point first half.
• The Spartans held the Aggies to just 32.1% shooting in the second half after Delaware Valley had their way from the field in the opening 20 minutes of play. York forced nine Aggie turnovers in which they converted into 17 points.
Joey Polczynski: 23 points, 5 rebounds, 6-for-10 FG, 5-for-7 3PT FG, 6-for-6 FT
Jared Wagner: 23 points, 3 rebounds, 6 assists, 9-for-16 FG, 2-for-4 3PT FG, 3-for-3 FT
Darin Gordon: 18 points, 7-for-14 FG, 2-for-3 3PT FG, 11 rebounds, 1 blocked shot, 1 steal
Jason Bady: 9 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 5 blocked shots, 5 steals
Mike Cianciulli: 27 points, 1 steal, 10-for-16 FG, 2-for-5 3PT FG, 5-for-6 FT
Damian Washington: 17 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 steals
Alex Matsinye: 10 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal
The Spartans are now 3-0 all-time against the Aggies … junior Joey Polczynski set a new career-high as he poured in 23 points and made five three point field goals … Polczynski also went a career-high 6-for-6 from the free throw line … junior Darin Gordon tied his career-high with 18 points, a mark that he set less than a week ago against Franklin & Marshall … Gordon also notched his first career double-double as he had a career-high 11 rebounds … senior Jason Bady blocked a career-high five shots which is tied for fifth best on the single-game list for the Spartans … Bady also tied a career-high with five steals … Bady is now seventh on the career steals list with 123 … senior Nolan Smith pulled in a career-high five rebounds in the win … the Spartans outrebounded the Aggies, snapping a six-game streak in which York has lost the battle on the glass … the Spartans have shot a combined 53.5% (61-for-114) from the floor in the last two games … York has gone 21-for-48 (43.7%) from three in their last two games … York has scored 91 points in their last two second halves … the Spartans shot a season-high 88.9% from the free throw line in the win with 15 of their makes coming in the second half after going 1-for-2 in the first half … the Spartans have blocked 15 shots in their last two games.
The Spartans return home on Wednesday evening for a big non-conference contest as the Spartans host undefeated Scranton in an 8:00 pm contest. The Royals enter the game 6-0 as they are averaging 84.8 points per game. The Royals are outscoring their opponents by over 14 points per game.