YORK, PA – The York College men's basketball team came back from Thanksgiving break with a gritty 78-74 overtime win over long-time nemesis Franklin & Marshall in a non-conference contest at Charles Wolf Gymnasium on Sunday.
The win snaps York's brief two-game losing streak while the setback is the second straight for the Diplomats. The 40 minute trip west is the first for the Diplomats since January 25, 1999.
Final Score: York 78 – Franklin & Marshall 74 (OT)
Records: York 4-2, F&M 3-2
Field Goals: York 29-for-59, F&M 29-for-70
Field Goal %: York 44.1%, F&M 41.4%
Three Point FG: York 11-for-35, F&M 8-for-19
Three Point FG %: York 31.4%, F&M 42.1%
Free Throws: York 15-for-24, F&M 8-for-14
Free Throw %: York 62.5%, F&M 57.1%
Rebounds: York 39, F&M 43
Assists: York 17, F&M 16
Turnovers: York 20, F&M 19
Blocked Shots: York 3, F&M 4
Steals: York 10, F&M 10
How It Happened
• The Diplomats got off to a great start in the game as they were looking to erase their poor performance at Gettysburg on Tuesday evening. After the Spartans opened the scoring, the Diplomats ripped off nine straight points over a two-minute span. The Diplomats eventually pushed their early lead to nine at 19-10 with 11:27 left in the first half.
• York got back into the game with threes from Joey Polczynski and Darin Gordon on back-to-back possessions as the Diplomats led 19-16. Franklin & Marshall then fashioned a 15-2 run that turned the three-point lead into a 34-18 bulge with 2:48 left in the half as it looked like the Spartans were going to get blown out in their own building.
• York got off the canvas the last 2:31 of the opening half as they cut the Diplomat lead to nine thanks to a 9-2 run. That run included a scoop and score from Jared Wagner just before the first half horn.
• The Diplomats pushed their lead back to double figures with a Bo Williams three pointer 1:48 into the stanza. York then embarked on a 16-3 run, turning their double-digit deficit into a 45-43 lead with 13:24 left in regulation. After Mike Rice hit a lay-up, York scored 11 of the game's next 13 points to take a 56-46 lead as the momentum had completed turned from the first half.
• F&M answered the York spurt with a 13-2 run of their own to take a 59-58 lead with 6:29 left in the contest. That run set the stage for an exciting end to regulation.
• The Spartans scored the next six points of the game to take a 64-59 lead with 3:37 left. The Diplomats got a pair of offensive rebounds and a foul on their next possession to cut the Spartan lead to four thanks ot a pair of free throws. York turned it over and Matt Redhead sank a pair of free throws to cut the Diplomat deficit to two with 2:35 left. York came up dry on their next possession and the Diplomats went to the line after a foul as Redhead split a pair with 1:49 left as the York lead was 64-63.
• Senior Nolan Smith pushed York's lead back to two as he split a pair of free throws with 1:30 left. York's Mike Frauenheim picked up a huge steal and drilled a pair of free throws, putting York up four with 1:08 remaining in regulation. York got another stop as the Diplomats fouled. The Spartans missed two free throws and Justin Kupa drove down the floor to get an easy lay up with 37 seconds left. After a timeout, York turned the ball over and Redhead converted the bucket, tying the game at 67 with 29 seconds left. York wouldn't get anything out of their final possession as the teams headed to overtime.
• In the extra session, Gordon took over for the Green and White. He started the scoring with a free throw on York's first possession. He then cashed in a three pointer from the corner on York's next time down the floor, putting York up four. After an almost two minutes stretch of scoreless basketball, Redhead hit a pair of free throws to cut York's lead to two. Gordon drained another three pointer with 1:40 left, pushing York's lead back to five. Wagner hit a lay up with 1:08 left as the Spartan lead grew to seven. The teams traded points over the next 58 seconds before Kupa hit a desperation three that left the Spartan margin of victory at four points.
Darin Gordon: 18 points, 4-for-9 3PTFG, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocked shots, 1 steal
Joey Polczynski: 17 points, 4-for-7 3PTFG, 4 rebounds, 1 blocked shot, 1 steal
Jared Wagner: 16 points, 3 rebounds, 9 assists, 3 steals
Mike Frauenheim: 9 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
J.C. McGrath: 14 points, 14 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 blocked shot, 3 steals
Justin Kupa: 13 points, 4 assists, 1 rebound, 1 steal
Matt Redhead: 12 points, 7 rebounds, 1 blocked shot
The Spartans are now 3-22 against F&M all time as they snapped a six game Diplomat winning streak … F&M is now 1-2 in their last three trips to York but those trips have covered 21 years … the Spartans have won three straight overtime games dating back to last season … York is now 8-2 in overtime under head coach Matt Hunter … junior Darin Gordon set a new career-high with 18 points while his four three pointers ties his career high … junior Joey Polczynski also set a new career-high with 17 points while his four three pointers also established a new career standard … senior Mike Frauenheim had a great game with a season-high nine points while he set a new career-high with nine rebounds … junior Jared Wagner set a new career-high with nine assists in the win … York is now 3-0 at home … the Spartans shot 54.2% (13-for-24) from the floor in the second half after shooting just 34.5% (10-for-29) in the first half … York has now been outrebounded in five of their six games including five straight games of losing the battle on the glass … the Diplomats held a 40-30 advantage in points in the paint and a 16-3 bulge in second-chance points … York is now 3-0 when making more free throws than their opponents … the Spartans shot a season-worse 62.5% (15-for-24) from the free throw line … the 24 attempts are York's second most attempts for the year … York's 10 steals marks the fourth time this year they have reached double figures in steals for a game ... all four of York's wins have come against the Centennial Conference with one game remaining to be played (@ Swarthmore on Dec. 12).
The Spartans return to Charles Wolf Gymnasium on Wednesday evening when they continue their challenging non-conference slate with a match up against Gwynedd-Mercy College. The game will be part of a men's-women's doubleheader. The Spartan women host Elizabethtown at 6:00 pm followed by the men's game against the Griffins at 8:00 pm.