YORK, PA – The York College men's basketball team suffered their first home loss of the year as the #7 Spartans dropped an 83-75 Capital Athletic Conference game to Salisbury University on Saturday afternoon in York.
The loss spoiled the Spartans' Senior Day as Dalton Myers, Matt Scamuffo, and Blayde Reich were honored prior to the game. The loss snaps York's four game win streak as their conference lead is down to one game with two to play in the league season.
Records: #7 York 20-3 (13-3 CAC), Salisbury 16-7 (12-4 CAC)
Final Score: York 75, Salisbury 83
Field Goals: York 21-for-47, Salisbury 27-for-57
Field Goal %: York 44.7%, Salisbury 47.4%
Three Point FG: York 7-for-20, Salisbury 13-for-26
Three Point FG %: York 35%, Salisbury 50%
Free Throws: York 26-for-37, Salisbury 16-for-25
Free Throw %: York 70.3%, Salisbury 64.0%
Rebounds: York 28, Salisbury 38
Assists: York 12, Salisbury 17
Turnovers: York 15, Salisbury 14
Blocked Shots: York 1, Salisbury 1
Steals: York 6, Salisbury 9
How It Happened
• York got off to a strong start early in the game as they led 12-7 just over five minutes into the game. York's first four field goals were three pointers to help them forge the early lead. The Sea Gulls responded with a 14-0 run that turned the Salisbury deficit into a nine-point lead with 13 minutes left in the half.
• York cut the Salisbury lead to four on a Jason Bady bucket with 9:39 remaining. Salisbury slowly build their lead into double figures, eventually pushing it to a game-high 16 (45-29) on a Mike Ward lay up with 1:08 left in the half. Jared Wagner hit four free throws over the final 56 seconds of the half as York went to the locker room down 45-33.
• The Sea Gulls maintained their lead between six and 12 points over the opening 15 minutes of the second half. York cut the lead to five on a Matt Scamuffo three pointer with just over five minutes left in the game. Blair Davis pushed the lead back to seven on a lay up but York responded with an 8-0 run, giving the Spartans a 69-68 lead with 3:06 left in regulation. The run was capped by a spectacular three-point play from Bady as York took their first lead since they were up 12-10 with 14:32 left in the first half.
• York's lead would be short lived as Salisbury recaptured the advantage on their next possession as Johnny Fierstein hit a short jumper in the lane to give Salisbury the 70-69 lead. Wagner split a pair of free throws on York's next possession to tie the game at 70 with 2:25 left in the game.
• Chad Barcikowski hit a pair of free throws on Salisbury's next possession to give the Sea Gulls the lead for good. Bady split a pair of free throws on York's next trip down the floor but Fierstein hit a huge three as the shot clock was winding down and York wouldn't recover. Salisbury grew the lead back up to 10 thanks to ten trips to the line over the final 45 seconds of the game, securing the upset victory.
Blayde Reich: 20 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assists, 7-for-9 FG, 2-for-3 3PT FG, 4-for-7 FT
Jason Bady: 16 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 5-for-7 FG, 1-for-1 3PT FG, 5-for-7 FT
Matt Scamuffo: 15 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assists, 1 steal
Jared Wagner: 9 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal
Chad Barcikowski: 15 points, 11 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 4-for-10 FG, 2-for-3 3PT, 5-for-5 FT
Gary Briddell: 14 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, 5-for-5 FG, 4-for-4 3PT FG
Mike Ward: 13 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals
Johnny Feirstein: 12 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal
James Foley: 11 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal
Blair Davis: 10 points, 9 assists, 2 rebounds, 1 steal
Salisbury holds a 41-37 edge in the all-time series … the two teams split their regular season meeting with each road team picking up the win … prior to the game, the Spartans honored their three seniors, Dalton Myers, Matt Scamuffo, and Blayde Reich … all three seniors are members of the 1,000 point club as Myers is 11th with 1,395 points, Scamuffo is 14th with 1,304 points and Reich is 23rd with 1,059 points … Reich reached 20 points for the seventh time this year but just the first time since his 25 point outburst at St. Mary's on January 17 … Myers scored seven points in the game, just the third time this year he has failed to reach double figures … Scamuffo reached double figures for the 13th time this year … York is now 6-2 when trailing at the half … the loss is the first in ten games at home for York … Salisbury placed six players in double figures, the most against York this year as the previous high of five came in the loss at Frostburg State … Salisbury is the fifth team to make double digits in three pointers in a game against York and Salisbury has done it twice … Salisbury is 24-for-59 (40.7%) from three against the Spartans in the two games this year … York attempted just 20 three pointers, their third lowest total of the year … York was outrebounded by ten boards in the game, their biggest deficit on the glass for the year … Salisbury had 13 offensive rebounds which led to 16 second chance points … the Salisbury bench outscored York 41-8 … York had 10 turnovers in the fateful first half and just five in the second half which helped fuel their comeback … York went to the line 37 times and that's the tenth time this year they have been in the 30's or above for free throw attempts … York had two players foul out in a game for the first time this year as York was whistled for a season-high 24 personal fouls … the 25 free throws by Salisbury was the third highest total by an opponent this year.
The Spartans wrap up their 2017-18 home regular season schedule on Wednesday evening as they host St. Mary's College in a conference contest. Tip time is set for 8:00 pm at Charles Wolf Gymnasium.