YORK, PA – The York College men's basketball team closed out their three game home stand with a 93-78 Capital Athletic Conference win over the Southern Virginia University Knights in Charles Wolf Gymnasium Saturday in York. The Spartans trailed at the half but outscored SVU 56-38 in the second half to earn the conference win.
York got a huge contribution from their bench as York's reserves scored a season-high 45 points and led the second half charge that eventually won the game. York has now won three straight games and 19 overall as they are 10th in the nation on the d3hoops.com poll.
Records: #10 York 19-2 (12-2 CAC), SVU 9-12 (4-10 CAC)
Final Score: York 93, SVU 78
Field Goals: York 31-for-62, SVU 30-for-61
Field Goal %: York 50%, SVU 49.2%
Three Point FG: York 12-for-32, SVU 5-for-17
Three Point FG %: York 37.5%, SVU 29.4%
Free Throws: York 19-for-27, SVU 13-for-19
Free Throw %: York 70.4%, SVU 68.4%
Rebounds: York 35, SVU 37
Assists: York 25, SVU 15
Turnovers: York 8, SVU 14
Blocked Shots: York 0, SVU 0
Steals: York 10, SVU 3
How It Happened
• The Spartans got off to a slow start as the Knights sprinted out to an 11-4 lead five minutes into the game. The Spartans cut the lead to one on a Darin Gordon four-point play followed by a Zach Novick three as the Knights led 16-15. Southern Virginia went on a 12-2 run to push out to a game-high 11-point advantage at 28-17.
• York wasted little time in answering Southern Virginia's run with a 14-3 spurt fueled by Jason Bady as York tied the game at 31 with 4:10 left in the opening half. Bady contributed seven points on the run including a highlight reel alley-oop that brought the Wolf Gymnasium crowd to their feet.
• Southern Virginia outscored York 9-6 over the final 3:04 of the half to take the 40-37 lead to the break. It's just the seventh time in 21 games that York has entered the lockeroom down at the break.
• The Spartans wasted little time in coming out strong after the break as they tallied the first five points of the stanza to take a short-lived lead. The game would be tied at 44 when Spartan head coach Matt Hunter put his bench bunch into the game and they responded. The group of Mike Frauenheim, Darin Gordon. Joey Polczynski, Zach Novick and Nolan Smith powered the Spartans on a prolonged 27-9 run, turning a 44-44 tie into a 71-53 lead with 8:39 left in the game.
• The 18-point lead was a game-high for the Spartans. The Spartan advantage was cut to 11 on a Justin Prisbrey jumper with 3:42 left but York quickly pushed the advantage back to 16 before settling for the comfortable 15-point win.
• The Spartans put a season-high six players in double figures with three of those players coming off the bench.
Dalton Myers: 18 points, 3 rebounds, 1 steal, 4-for-8 FG, 3-for-6 3PT FG, 7-for-8 FT
Darin Gordon: 15 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 5-for-7 FG, 4-for-6 3PT FG, 1-for-1 FT
Jason Bady: 15 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 4-for-6 FG, 1-for-1 3PT FG, 6-for-6 FT
Blayde Reich: 12 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 5-for-8 FG, 2-for-3 FT
Joey Polczynski: 12 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 5-for-6 FG, 2-for-5 FT
Zach Novick: 10 points, 4-for-8 FG, 2-for-5 3PT FG, 12 minutes
Mike Frauenheim: 10 assists, 0 turnovers, 3 points, 2 rebounds, 3 steals
Jaron Anderson: 17 points, 1 rebound, 7-for-12 FG, 2-for-7 3PT FG, 1-for-2 FT
Justin Prisbrey: 17 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 6-for-9 FG, 5-for-7 FT
Aarun Rumbaugh: 13 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 5-for-14 FG, 2-for-5 3PT FG, 1-for-2 FT
The Spartans improve to 7-3 all-time against Southern Virginia as York has won five in a row against SVU … the Spartans are 5-0 all-time at Wolf Gymnasium against Southern Virginia … the Spartans are now 9-0 at Wolf Gymnasium for the 2017-18 season … York is now 6-1 when trailing at the intermission … the Spartans shot 50% from the floor and they are now 15-0 when shooting over 45% from the floor … York shot over 50% from the floor for the tenth time this year … York made 12 three pointers as they have reached double digits in three point field goals made for the tenth time this year … York handed out 25 assists while they also had a season-low eight turnovers … York has had at least 20 assists in eight games this year … York has totaled 71 assists and just 34 turnovers in their three-game win streak … Southern Virginia outrebounded York 37-35 and that's just the seventh time this year the Spartans have lost the battle on the glass … York forced SVU 14 turnovers which they turned into 22 points … the Spartans had a 10-0 advantage in fast break points in the game … the 45 bench points were a season high, eclipsing the previous best of 39 set in the season opening win over Pitt-Bradford … there were a number of career highs set in the win … junior Mike Frauenheim dished out a career-high 10 assists with zero turnovers in his 20 minutes of play … the 10 assists are the highest single total for a Spartan player this year … sophomore Darin Gordon tallied a career-high 15 points as he drained a career-high four three point field goals … Gordon's previous career high was 14 points at Wesley on February 21, 2017 … junior Jason Bady was a perfect 6-for-6 from the line while his seven rebounds marks the eighth time this year he has seven or more caroms in a game … sophomore Zach Novick tied his career-high with 10 points, a mark he set last year against Johns Hopkins … junior Nolan Smith set a new career-high with four rebounds while he also had five points including a big three pointer during the second half run … sophomore Joey Polczynski tallied 12 points and it's the second time this year he has reached double figures in scoring … the six players in double figures marks the first time this year that the Spartans have had more than five double figure scorers …the Spartans are now 5-0 when five or more players reach double figures and 18-1 when three or more players reach double figures … York is now 12-0 when having more assists than turnovers.
The Spartans head out on the road on Wednesday as they head to Middletown, PA to face the Penn State Harrisburg Lions in a CAC contest. Tip time is set for 8:00 pm as part of a conference women's and men's doubleheader.