HUNTINGDON, PA – The York College field hockey squad picked up a solid 3-1 non-conference win at Juniata College on a warm and muggy Wednesday night in Huntingdon. The Spartans have won three straight and six of their last eight games.
Final Score: York 3, Juniata 1
Records: York 6-4, Juniata 4-5
Shots: York 9, Juniata 12
Shots on Goal: York 8, Juniata 10
Penalty Corners: York 5, Juniata 11
Defensive Saves: York 1, Juniata 1
Saves: York 9, Juniata 5
How It Happened:
• The Spartans wasted little time in jumping out on top. The Green and White drew a penalty corner in the third minute of the game. Meghan Heary inserted the ball on the corner. Amanda Boclair picked up the pass and fed Hannah Huffman who finished off the chance for the 1-0 lead just 3:14 into the game. The Spartans finished the quarter holding a 2-1 edge in shots while both squads had a pair of penalty corners.
• The second quarter was scoreless as the Eagles held a 4-2 edge in shots but Spartan goalie Sam Keating earned saves on all four shots to keep the Spartans on top 1-0 at the half.
• York increased their lead just 2:26 into the second half as Huffman found the back of the cage as fellow freshman Abby Piotrowski fed Huffman with a pass for the goal. The goal was Huffman's second of the game and fourth of the year.
• The Spartans drew a penalty corner with just 1:16 left in the third quarter. Heary inserted the ball to Boclair who slid a pass over to Dana Meehling. Meehling finished off the chance for her team-leading fifth goal of the year.
• The Eagles broke up the shutout with just over two minutes left in regulation as Grace Alexander scored for Juniata. The Spartans closed out the win, their third straight.
Hannah Huffman: 2 goals, 3 shots on goal
Dana Meehling: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Amanda Boclair: 2 assists
Abby Piotrowski: 1 assist, 1 shot on goal
Sam Collis: 2 shots on goal
Julea Truskey: 1 defensive save
Grace Alexander: 1 goal, 3 shots on goal
Sarah Alexander: 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
Catherine Lanigan: 2 shots on goal
Olivia Marker: 2 shots on goal
Grace Kuszmaul: 1 defensive save
Sam Keating (YCP): 60:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 8 saves (Win. 2-0)
Nicole Piccioni (JC): 52:59 minutes played, 3 goals against, 4 saves (Loss, 4-5)
Aspen Handel (JC): 2:37 minutes played, 0 goals against, 0 saves
Brittney McMullen (JC): 4:24 minutes played, 0 goals against, 0 saves
York improves to 7-17-2 overall as they have now won two straight against the Eagles … the Spartans tied a season-high with three assists (also vs. Washington College on September 14) … junior Julea Truskey picked up her second defensive save of the year as she has both of York's defensive saves … senior Sam Keating picked up her second road win as she made eight saves and allowing just one goal … Keating has made 13 saves and allowed just one goal of her 120 minutes of play in the last two games … freshman Hannah Huffman had her first career multi-goal game in the win.
The Spartans conclude their three-game road trip as they head to Montclair State to face the Red Hawks in a non-conference contest on Saturday. Game time is set for 4:30 pm in Upper Montclair, N.J.