YORK, PA – The York College field hockey squad picked up a much needed 4-2 non-conference win over Susquehanna University on a warm Wednesday night in York. The Spartans broke out for a season-high four goals including a pair of penalty strokes in the second half.
Final Score: York 4, Susquehanna 2
Records: York 4-4, Susquehanna 2-7
Shots: York 12, Susquehanna 7
Shots on Goal: York 10, Susquehanna 4
Penalty Corners: York 9, Susquehanna 9
Defensive Saves: York 0, Susquehanna 1
Saves: York 2, Susquehanna 6
How It Happened:
• The Spartans went on the attack early in the game as York fired off four first quarter shots. River Hawk goalie Emily Digaetano recorded three saves to keep the game scoreless through one quarter of play.
• The second quarter had a crazy three-minute stretch of action as Susquehanna opened the scoring with 9:53 left in the quarter. Sam Banks found herself in the middle of the circle with a loose ball on her stick after a scramble on the endline. Banks put home the loose ball for her first goal of the year to put the River Hawks on top. The Spartans wasted little time in notching the equalizer as Meghan Heary scored 45 seconds later. Heary beat a pair of Crusader defenders and finished the chance against Digaetano, knotting the game at one.
• The Spartans had a penalty corner in the 42nd minute as Abby Piotrowski inserted the ball to Dana Meehling. Meehling hit a high shot that was saved but, in the scrum following the save, the Spartans drew a penalty stroke. Freshman Reese Hardman calmly stepped to the spot and fired a shot into the back of the cage for her first collegiate goal.
• The fourth quarter was filled with action. The River Hawks tied the game off a penalty corner 1:01 into the quarter. Annalee Smith took the insert at the left wing and fired a pass toward the cage. Gabby Martin tipped in the pass, knotting the game at two. York took the lead just over four minutes later as Meehling collected a loose ball in the circle and lifted a shot into the upper right 90 for the 3-2 Spartan lead with just under ten minutes left in the game.
• York closed out the scoring in the 59th minute as the Spartans drew a penalty corner. Meehling's shot hit the cross bar and the Green and White drew a penalty stroke on the ensuing scramble for the rebound. Heary stepped up and buried the stroke attempt for her second goal of the night.
Meghan Heary: 2 goals, 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
Dana Meehling: 1 goal, 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
Reese Hardman: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Kristin Varilla: 2 shots on goal
River Hawk Leaders
Gabby Martin: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Sam Banks: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Annalee Smith: 1 assist, 1 shot on goal
Vivian Simone: 1 defensive save
Kaitlyn Wallace (YCP): 60:00 minutes played, 2 goals against, 2 saves (Win, 4-4)
Emily Digaetano (SU): 60:00 minutes played, 4 goals against, 5 saves (Loss, 2-6)
York is now 18-16-1 all time against Susquehanna as the teams have split their last two meetings … the four goals were a season high while the two penalty strokes were the most since York had three at Mary Washington last October 20 … York reached double figures in shots for the first time since their Sept 11 win over Albright (19) … York did not have an assist for the first time this year as all four goals were unassisted … senior Meghan Heary scored her first two goals of the year as she tied a career-high with two goals … Heary also got two goals in the October 25, 2018 win at Frostburg State … Heary's penalty stroke goal was the first of her Spartan goal … freshman Reese Hardman got her first collegiate goal as she converted a penalty stroke in the third quarter.
The Spartans heads out on the road to start a three-game road trip on Saturday morning when they head to the University of Lynchburg to face the Hornets at 11:30 am in Lynchburg, VA.