LANCASTER, PA – The York College field hockey team suffered a lopsided loss at #9 Franklin & Marshall College on Wednesday as the Diplomats downed York 5-1 in Lancaster. The loss snaps the Spartans three match win streak as they fall to 3-3.
Final Score: York 1, #9 F&M 5
Records: York 3-3, F&M 6-0
Shots: York 9, F&M 27
Shots on Goal: York 4, F&M 19
Penalty Corners: York 9, F&M 10
Defensive Saves: York 0, F&M 0
Saves: York 14, F&M 3
How It Happened:
• The Diplomats were all over the Spartans from the start. F&M spent a majority of time in the Spartan defensive third. However, Spartan freshman goalie Kaitlyn Wallace was up to the task as she made seven first quarter saves. The Dips did break through with 15 seconds left in the quarter as Lily Mynott collected a loose ball off a rebound and banged the ball home for the 1-0 lead. The Diplomats outshot York 11-1 in the quarter while they also held a 6-0 edge in penalty corners.
• F&M built on the lead in the second quarter as Mynott notched to more goals. Her second. Goal of the game came with 8:16 left in the half and she followed that a mere 19 seconds later to put the Diplomats up 3-0.
• F&M kept rolling out of the half as Darby Klopp registered a pair of third quarter goals to increase the lead to 5-0 midway through the third quarter.
• York spoiled the shutout in the fourth quarter as Kristin Varilla recorded her second goal of the year. Abby Piotrowski earned the assist on the play. Varilla's goal came with 4:31 left in the game.
• The Diplomats ended the game outshooting York 27-9 while the corners were much closer with F&M holding a 10-9 margin.
Kristin Varilla: 1 goal, 3 shots on goal
Abby Piotrowski: 1 assist, 1 shot
Carrie Shuey: 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
Lily Mynott: 3 goals, 5 shots, 4 shots on goal
Darby Klopp: 2 goals, 2 shots on goal
Erin Coverdale: 12 shots, 10 shots on goal
Kaitlyn Wallace (YCP): 45:00 minutes played, 3 goals against, 11 saves (Loss, 3-3)
Sam Keating (YCP): 15:00 minutes played, 2 goals against, 3 saves
Christina Seery (F&M): 54:02 minutes played, 0 goals against, 3 saves (Win, 5-0)
Sydney Lippe (F&M): 5:58 minutes played, 1 goal against, 0 saves
York falls to 10-26 all-time against F&M as the Diplomats have won three straight in the series … it's the worst loss against the Diplomats since F&M won 8-1 on October 26, 2010 … York was held to just nine shots and that's the third time this year they have been held to single digits in shots …. The five goals allowed were a season-high for York as were the 27 shots surrendered … freshman goalie Kaitlyn Wallace set a new career-high with 11 saves in her 45 minutes of action.
The Spartans return to Kinsley Field to host Shenandoah University in a non-conference contest on Saturday. The match is slated for a 12:00 pm start.