CHESTERTOWN, MD – The York College field hockey team earned their third straight win as the Spartans downed Washington (Md.) 3-2 in non-conference action on Saturday evening in Chestertown, Maryland. After opening the campaign 0-2, the Green and White have ripped off three straight victories.
Final Score: York 3, Washington (Md.) 2
Records: York 3-2, WC 1-4
Shots: York 7, WC 8
Shots on Goal: York 6, WC 3
Penalty Corners: York 5, WC 5
Defensive Saves: York 0, WC 0
Saves: York 1, WC 3
How It Happened:
• The Shorewomen tied the game just over five minutes later as Kailyn Brandt fired a shot on cage. Spartan keeper Kaitlyn Wallace made the save but the ball caromed right to Julianna Sterling who put the rebound into the cage for her second goal of the year.
• The Green and White recaptured the lead for good in the second quarter with 10:28 left in the half. Freshman Hannah Huffman hit a cross in front of the cage and Dana Meehling knocked the pass past a diving Caroline Kral for the 2-1 Spartan lead.
• The Spartans finished with a 5-4 edge in first half shots while both teams had two penalty corners in the opening 30 minutes of play.
• York got the eventual game-winning goal in the 54th minute of play as Huffman capped a good night with her second goal of the year. Sam Collis stole a clear attempt by the Shorewomen and found Huffman with an on-target pass. Huffman finished off the chance as the Spartans led 3-1.
• Washington got a goal with 17 seconds left in regulation but it would be too-little-too-late as the Spartans picked up their second straight road win.
Hannah Huffman: 1 goal, 1 assist, 3 shots on goal
Dana Meehling: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Amanda Boclair: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal
Kristin Varilla: 1 assist
Sam Collis: 1 assist, 1 shot
Julianna Sterling: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal
Parker Wolf: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Grace Steele: 1 assist, 1 shot
Kailyn Brandt: 3 shots
Kaitlyn Wallace (YCP): 60:00 minutes played, 2 goals allowed, 1 save (Win, 3-2)
Caroline Kral (WC): 60:00 minutes played, 3 goals against, 3 saves (Loss, 0-1)
York is now 2-0 against Washington as both games have come in the last two years … last year's score was also 3-2 … York's seven shots in the win was a season-low … York scored on 42.9% of their shots in the game, a season-high mark … the Spartans' five penalty corners was tied for their lowest total of the season … York still does not have a defensive save in their five games … freshman Hannah Huffman now has at least one point in five of her six collegiate games including her last five straight … Huffman's three points (1 goal and 1 assist) are a new career high … the goal was Huffman's first career game-winner … junior Dana Meehling has all six of her points (three goals) in the last two games after two against Albright on Wednesday.
The Spartans conclude their three-game road trip with a trek to Lancaster, PA to face the nationally ranked Franklin & Marshall Diplomats in a non-conference tilt on Wednesday afternoon. The match is slated for a 4:30 pm start.