YORK, PA – The York College field hockey team picked up their first win of the year with a well-played 3-1 victory over Virginia Wesleyan College on a beautiful Saturday afternoon in York.
Final Score: York 3, Virginia Wesleyan 1
Records: York 1-2, VWC 1-2
Shots: York 9, VWC 3
Shots on Goal: York 6, VWC 2
Penalty Corners: York 5, VWC 4
Saves: York 1, VWC 3
How It Happened:
• The game started with the play being in the middle of the field over the opening five minutes. Neither team was able to get anything going until the Marlins earned the game's first penalty corner just under six minutes into the match. The Spartans were able to block the shot on the first corner but Virginia Wesleyan drew another corner almost immediately. Emma Walsh inserted the corner to Karleigh Warren. After a quick sidestep of a Spartan defender, Warrren blistered a shot on cage but before it got there, Elizabeth Roberto redirected the shot into the back of the cage for the game-opening goal.
• The Spartans responded just two minutes later on an almost identical goal. Dana Meehling took the corner sent it towards Hannah Huffman. Huffman fired a pill from the top of the circle. That shot as tipped in by Kristin Varilla for her first career goal, knotting the score at one with 6:23 left in the first quarter.
• York made it 2-1 just before the half on another set piece. Meehling again took a corner and freshman Carrie Shuey ripped a shot that was saved by Marlin goalie MeMe Dawson. The rebound tricked to the stick of sophomore Sarah Burton who poked home the loose ball for her first goal of the year.
• First half offense was at a premium as there were just seven total shots in the half as York held a 5-2 edge in total shots.
• The second half proved to be a defensive battle as neither team was able to generate much in the offensive third. York was able to get a third goal at the end of the third quarter. Burton dribbled a ball through the circle and flicked a nifty backhanded shot inside the far right post for her second goal of the game as the Spartans put a stranglehold on the game.
• The game featured a combined seven green cards and one yellow card, a season high for any Spartan game this year.
Sarah Burton: 2 goals, 2 shots on goal
Kristin Varilla: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Hannah Huffman: 1 assist, 4 shots, 1 shot on goal
Carrie Shuey: 2 shots on goal
Elizabeth Roberto: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Karleigh Warren: 1 assist, 1 shot
Kennedi Jones: 1 shot on goal
Kaitlyn Wallace (YCP): 60:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 1 save (Win, 1-2)
MeMe Dawson (VWC): 60:00 minutes played, 3 goals against, 3 saves (Loss, 0-1)
The Spartans improve to 2-0 all-time against the Marlins … the first game in the series came way back on August 31, 2001, a 4-3 Spartan win at Virginia Wesleyan to open the 2001 campaign … the win snaps York's short two game losing streak to start the season … the Spartans had their best defensive effort of the year as they limited Virginia Wesleyan to just three shots with two of those being on goal … the Marlins were hit with four green cards in the game while York had three greens and a yellow in the tightly officiated game … the goal for Kristin Varilla was her first career tally … Sarah Burton's two goals were her first career goals as a Spartan … Burton's first goal came on her first career shot … freshman Kaitlyn Wallace earned her first career victory in goal.
The Spartans head out on the road for the start of a three-game road swing. York will trek to Reading to face off against future MAC opponent Albright on Wednesday afternoon. Game time is set for 4:00 pm.